POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering colors outside of RGB space : Re: Rendering colors outside of RGB space Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering colors outside of RGB space
From: clipka
Date: 8 Apr 2009 08:25:00
Message: <web.49dc9329469723b6f3b4f0@news.povray.org>
"epidot" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Is there anyway to render a colour that is outside the normal RGB space?
>
> I have a situation where I have some colour data that falls outside the RGB
> gamut. It would be very good to get your input on this

(A) No, it's not possible. POV simply operates in RGB space.

(B) Then again, that's "almost not true": POV's rendering engine actually knows
nothing about color space - it just operates on a 3-band spectral space, which
happens to be typically used as R, G and B respectively. Well, it *almost*
knows nothing about it: There are a few operations that deal with the overall
brightness, which is computed from the three spectral bands, weighting them in
a way custom-tailored to RGB.

(C) IIUC colors outside the gamut can be achieved by "boosting" some of the RGB
components beyond 100% (effectively enlarging the "gamut triangle" in all
directions). AFAIK POV is perfectly fine operating with such high numbers
(though there are a few places where you can deliberately clip colors), and
even writes them to suitable file formats, such as HDR. So yes, you can render
those - you just can't properly display them on a computer screen for obvious
reasons.