POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : still weird artifacts with superposed, different IOR boxes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:17:00 EDT (-0400)
  still weird artifacts with superposed, different IOR boxes (Message 5 to 14 of 14)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: still weird artifacts with superposed, different IOR boxes
Date: 25 Feb 2009 15:02:55
Message: <49a5a3ef@news.povray.org>
> Oh and I recommend a non-black sky because otherwise you never
> know if your black areas are trace level artefacts, shadows
> or some path in which the sky is visible:

> sphere
> {
>    0, 1000 hollow pigment {color SkyBlue}
> }

> And before the usual suspects complain, yes, I'm perfectly
> aware "hollow" has no effect here. But I do so dislike tracking
> down strange issues later when media enters the scene ;)

  What's wrong in using sky_sphere, which exists for this exact purpose?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 25 Feb 2009 15:40:00
Message: <web.49a5abf5ef01d7592c87a9d90@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   What's wrong in using sky_sphere, which exists for this exact purpose?

Various things. For instance, if you're using an image for the sky, you cannot
brighten or dim it using finish { ambient mySkyBrightness } if you map it to a
sky sphere, because - well, there's no finish on a sky sphere.

Similarly, you cannot use different sky spheres for radiosity (you may want a
strongly blurred image for that) and reflections (you'll definitely want a
high-res image there). With standard spheres, you just define two spheres of
almost same radius, and give the inner one a "no_image no_reflection" to have
it only affect radiosity. sky_sphere doesn't allow any of these statements.

Post a reply to this message

> >   What's wrong in using sky_sphere, which exists for this exact purpose?

> Various things. For instance, if you're using an image for the sky, you cannot
> brighten or dim it using finish { ambient mySkyBrightness } if you map it to a
> sky sphere, because - well, there's no finish on a sky sphere.

  I didn't see him using an image map for his "sky sphere". His stated
purpose was to use something else than black as the background color.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   I didn't see him using an image map for his "sky sphere". His stated
> purpose was to use something else than black as the background color.

Right, but the issues I described may be a good reason of making it a habit to
use true spheres instead of sky spheres.

In *this* particular case, you're right: A sky_sphere will do fine. Just like a
true sphere will, too.

Post a reply to this message