POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy (Message 1 to 10 of 165)
From: Woody
Subject: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
Date: 10 Jul 2008 18:45:01
Message: <web.48768fef3e11ba9cd0bdfd6f0@news.povray.org>
What are peoples thoughts on the whole open source concept in general and
specifically to POVRay? I've been using it for a while and feel bad that I
can't contribute to the project. Since I don't do hardcore programing like c++
and very rarely answer others questions in the newsgroups, but often post my
own, I fee like I'm being greedy.

I hate to use a cliche but I feel like a taker, rather than a giver when it
comes to this great program. I think this is a shame since the idea of open
source is kind of a "hippie" idea. That is keeping ideas and knwoledge free,
and because its free people are able to take others ideas and expand on them
and because everybody is expanding on everybody elses ideas it really produce a
great product.

I mean look at Linux. There was one CEO of a fortune 500 company
software professionally but a friend of mine who does offered me a key
generator for 3ds and LightWave. I refused him, not only because it was the
ethical thing to do, but also I think of this as website and software as a
"digital commune". Although if this was a real commune, since I seem to be
contribute very little, I would probably be the guy who eats everything and
plants nothing.

So any ideas how I can contribute?

Anybody else feel guilty and feel like they are to much of a taker?

What about the givers? Do you guys get tired of us takers?

p.s.
No I am not a hippie in real life. Although I wish I was, I am unfortunatley
just a geek who works a 9-5.

Post a reply to this message