POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 11 Jul 2008 07:45:00
Message: <web.487747963167f0f75a8888d90@news.povray.org>
At the risk of lapsing into a cliche myself, yours is a classic "Catch 22"
situation, albeit in a positive sense.  Anyone who is genuinely concerned about
the prospect of being a "taker" isn't one.  "Community" is one of the most
important aspects of the open source phenomenon.  If the the community were to
be limited to hard core programmers only, the open source movement would be
doomed to permanent marginality.  My own programming skills are very modest.  I
probably ask for help two or three times as often as I am able to give it.  Yet,
the community has accepted me into its midst, bad puns and all.

As for Micro$oft's opinions on Linux, one can hardly be surprised when the
pathogen fails to express love for the antibody. ;-)

So, welcome to the community and please stop worrying. ANY contribution you
would care to make is a plus.  Not all important ideas are expressed in
executable code.  Every active mind motivated by positive concerns is valuable
addition.

Best Regards,
Mike C.