POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:26:33 EDT (-0400)
  Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy (Message 51 to 60 of 165)
From: Nicolas George
Subject: Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
Date: 15 Jul 2008 09:46:55
Message: <487caa4f@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich  wrote in message <487c817d$1@news.povray.org>:
> And here you show exactly why you are not welcome: You come with the
> attitude that you *might* consider to do something if and only if someone
> else first does something for you.

What would you have him do instead? It is just not possible to contribute
when the source code is not available.

(And working on anything bigger than a small bugfix on an old version is
useless.)

>						Hmm, is it only me who thinks
> that the only beneficiary using such logic is you, not the project you
> *could* decide to contribute to?

Depends on whether he actually contributes, and the quality of said
contribution.

That is the whole point of Free Software (note the capital: I am not
speaking of "free of charge"): you give the source code (and that does not
costs you anything, if you did not intend to sell your software in the first
place); a lot of people are hugely beneficiary from that situation, but
since it does not costs you anything, that is not a problem; and sometimes
you get interesting contributions, which is so much the better for you.

Post a reply to this message