POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: Nicolas George
Date: 15 Jul 2008 12:53:42
Message: <487cd616$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich  wrote in message <487cac23@news.povray.org>:
> Except that it is available.

It is _now_. Alexandre's post was in the past tense.

The source code for the beta release, as far as I can see, has been
available since 2008-02-18, which is somewhat about three years after the
first binaries.

> The opposite is true: To make bigger changes, you stick to a fixed working
> copy as you don't want every small change screwing up your large changes.
> Afterwards you merge your code. That is why there are branches and related
> features used when managing large source code repositories.

Of course, but that does not mean you must base your branch on an old
version when there is a more recent and reasonably stable one.