POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 15 Jul 2008 09:54:43
Message: <487cac23@news.povray.org>
Nicolas George wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich  wrote in message <487c817d$1@news.povray.org>:
>> And here you show exactly why you are not welcome: You come with the
>> attitude that you *might* consider to do something if and only if someone
>> else first does something for you.
>
> What would you have him do instead? It is just not possible to contribute
> when the source code is not available.

Except that it is available.

<sarcasm> Of course, we have been drowning in a flood of contributions since
the 3.7 beta source code has been available, so you might have missed the
original post about its availability.</sarcasm>

 > (And working on anything bigger than a small bugfix on an old version is
 > useless.)

The opposite is true: To make bigger changes, you stick to a fixed working
copy as you don't want every small change screwing up your large changes.
Afterwards you merge your code. That is why there are branches and related
features used when managing large source code repositories.

	Thorsten