POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:22:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: andrel
Date: 15 Jul 2008 14:43:09
Message: <487CEFF5.7030106@hotmail.com>
On 15-Jul-08 0:48, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:33:34 -0400, Warp wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>>> Well, you're the one saying you don't understand their usage....
>>   I didn't say I don't understand it. I said I completely disagree with
>>   it.
>
> So you don't think there's any definition of "free" that applies other
> than "free of cost"?

No, he thinks free of cost is *one* of the legitimate interpretations of
free.

> Interesting interpretation of the English language, that....

The interpretation of the English language that is interesting is: 'this
is not free software because it is free (of cost)'. And the surprise is
that there are people who speak English and think this is logical. As
many have said before: the FSF should never have claimed free software
as a concept. There were a couple of ways out, e.g. 'free software' of
Free Software, both will notify that a concept is meant that differs
from the colloquial combination of the words free and software. Even
better would have been FSF compliant software or similar.
I have a feeling that this is a concept that was influenced in some way
by the American copyright and patent system. At least if I read the FSF
definition of 'free software' it feels as if it was written by a group
of aliens without any knowledge of the Dutch (or any other European)
copyright and patent system. Which is probably true ;). Perhaps it would
help if Americans would understand that something they feel passionate
about (free software, American football, country music) might be
perceived as just another folklore thing overseas. Don't get me wrong,
free software (in any of its various meanings) does have a role also in
Europe, just as there is a place for the Amsterdam Admirals and Ilse
DeLange, but why the fuss?