POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problem with isosurface Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Problem with isosurface (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: SharkD
Subject: Problem with isosurface
Date: 8 Feb 2008 17:40:00
Message: <web.47acd95f26eb41a7ce83de880@news.povray.org>
In the following scene, the transparent sphere causes holes to appear in the
isosurface so that you can see all the way through it to the background behind
it. Why is this happening?

//BEGIN
#include "colors.inc"
#include "functions.inc"

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 1.0
}

// ----------------------------------------

camera {
  location  <2.0, 2.0, 2.0>
  right     x*image_width/image_height
  look_at   <0.0, 0.0,  0.0>
}

sky_sphere {
  pigment {
    gradient y
    color_map {
      [0.0 rgb <0.6,0.7,1.0>]
      [0.7 rgb <0.0,0.1,0.8>]
    }
  }
}

light_source {
  <0, 0, 0>            // light's position (translated below)
  color rgb <1, 1, 1>  // light's color
  translate <30, 30, 30>
}

// ----------------------------------------

#declare My_iso_function = function
{
 pigment
 {
  granite
 }
}

#declare Height_Ratio = 0.005;
#declare Water_Ratio = 0.75;

isosurface
{
 function { f_sphere(x, y, z, 1) + My_iso_function(x, y, z).gray * Height_Ratio}
 contained_by
 {
  sphere {0, 1}
 }
 pigment
 {
  onion
  color_map
  {
           [0 rgb 0]
           [1 rgb 1]
  }
  scale Height_Ratio
 }
}

sphere
{
 0, 1 - Height_Ratio * (1 - Water_Ratio)
 pigment
 {
  color rgbt 1
 }
}
//END

Post a reply to this message

> In the following scene, the transparent sphere causes holes to appear in the
> isosurface so that you can see all the way through it to the background behind
> it. Why is this happening?

Look at the debug messages when the render is done. If it says something
about "max_gradient reached", increase it.

Post a reply to this message

> > In the following scene, the transparent sphere causes holes to appear in the
> > isosurface so that you can see all the way through it to the background behind
> > it. Why is this happening?
>
> Look at the debug messages when the render is done. If it says something
> about "max_gradient reached", increase it.

There's no mention of "max_gradient" in the messages pane. Note also that the
isosurface renders fine when the transparent sphere is eliminated from the
scene.

Post a reply to this message