POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problem with isosurface : Re: Problem with isosurface Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:33:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with isosurface
From: Alain
Date: 8 Feb 2008 20:00:42
Message: <47acfb3a$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/02/08 17:36:
> In the following scene, the transparent sphere causes holes to appear in the
> isosurface so that you can see all the way through it to the background behind
> it. Why is this happening?

Same thing using the latest beta.
Adding "all_intersections" don't help.
All parts of the isosurface that are under the sphere surface are missing. You
can see the parts of the far side trough the holes.
Replacing the sphere by a box, and I see circles near the intersection of the
box and the isosurface.
Increasing the amplitude of the surface by a factor of 10, and the deep parts
are there. There are cuts near the surface of the sphere.
Scaling everything by a factor of 10, beter, but slow. Still have cuts.

It looks like a floating point precision problem.
When you first hit the isosurface, it's ok, you stop looking any further.
When you first hit the transparent sphere, the isosurface is to close and the
test just miss it.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when quotes about raytracing are making