POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : render depth/normal map with povray? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:16:59 EDT (-0400)
  render depth/normal map with povray? (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: sirhenjo
Subject: render depth/normal map with povray?
Date: 15 Nov 2007 09:00:01
Message: <web.473c4fbbdb567e121d0a17590@news.povray.org>
I am wondering if it's possible to render a depth and/or normal map using
povray, instead of a regular scene render.

The depth map can be generated by measuring the depth from a reference plane
(bounding box for example) and cast rays to the surface of the objects.

Is this possible?
I know there are other platforms that can do this, just wondering if POV-Ray can
be setup to generate such maps.

Post a reply to this message

> I am wondering if it's possible to render a depth and/or normal map using
> povray, instead of a regular scene render.
>
> The depth map can be generated by measuring the depth from a reference plane
> (bounding box for example) and cast rays to the surface of the objects.
>
> Is this possible?
> I know there are other platforms that can do this, just wondering if POV-Ray can
> be setup to generate such maps.

depth map:
set a gradient pigment perpendicular to the camera plane and set ambient
1 diffuse 0

Post a reply to this message

Jan Dvorak <jan### [at] centrumcz> wrote:
> sirhenjo napsal(a):
> > I am wondering if it's possible to render a depth and/or normal map using
> > povray, instead of a regular scene render.
> >
> > The depth map can be generated by measuring the depth from a reference plane
> > (bounding box for example) and cast rays to the surface of the objects.
> >
> > Is this possible?
> > I know there are other platforms that can do this, just wondering if POV-Ray can
> > be setup to generate such maps.
> >

> depth map:
> set a gradient pigment perpendicular to the camera plane and set ambient
> 1 diffuse 0

Normal map, use combined slope patterns.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message