POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Interior and Fog Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:14:41 EDT (-0400)
  Interior and Fog (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: kike
Subject: Interior and Fog
Date: 11 Apr 2007 09:35:01
Message: <web.461ce3b122d0fff3be7bfb550@news.povray.org>
Does anyone know how fog works?

Yesterday I was working in my Hiroshima image and I thought "It would be
possible using ground fog, to make an spherical fog writing

up x*y*z

or something similar?"
Well, the idea is that it happens something I dont understand but it doesnt
sets any error. So probably something can be done.

And why I want to do something like this? because in some cases it can look
like the interior propertie but renders much more faster. Does anyone know
something about this?

Post a reply to this message

> Yesterday I was working in my Hiroshima image and I thought "It would be
> possible using ground fog, to make an spherical fog writing
>
> up x*y*z

Not that way, obviously P))

> or something similar?"
> Well, the idea is that it happens something I dont understand but it doesnt
> sets any error. So probably something can be done.
>
> And why I want to do something like this? because in some cases it can look
> like the interior propertie but renders much more faster. Does anyone know
> something about this?

Right off the top my my head, I can think of two faster alternatives to
media:

MegaPOV's glow. It's fast.

A sphere like this (needs a background brighter than rgb<0,0,0>:

sphere{
  0,1
  pigment{rgbt}
  interior{fade_power 2 fade_distance .2 fade_color<10,10,3>
}

~Sam

Post a reply to this message

kike nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 11-04-2007 09:33:
> Does anyone know how fog works?

> Yesterday I was working in my Hiroshima image and I thought "It would be
> possible using ground fog, to make an spherical fog writing

> up x*y*z

> or something similar?"
> Well, the idea is that it happens something I dont understand but it doesnt
> sets any error. So probably something can be done.

> And why I want to do something like this? because in some cases it can look
> like the interior propertie but renders much more faster. Does anyone know
> something about this?

Ground fog is relative to a plane and the "up" vector is the normal of that
plane. Anything below the fog_offset have a constent density, and that density
diminishes according to that formula: 1/(1 + (y - Fog_Offset) / Fog_Alt) ^2 .
Fog is not contained and don't interact with light (the main reason why it's
faster).
Translation don't affect fog. You can rotate the fog or the up vector.

--
Alain
Everything can be filed under "miscellaneous".

Post a reply to this message

> Ground fog is relative to a plane and the "up" vector is the normal of that
> plane. Anything below the fog_offset have a constent density, and that density
> diminishes according to that formula: 1/(1 + (y - Fog_Offset) / Fog_Alt) ^2 .
> Fog is not contained and don't interact with light (the main reason why it's
> faster).
> Translation don't affect fog. You can rotate the fog or the up vector.
>
> --
> Alain

Ok, thanks. I knew moreless all that you said. The thing I didnt knew was
the part of the interaccion with light and the way the fog was linked to
the plane.