POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How about a contest....... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:25:06 EDT (-0400)
  How about a contest....... (Message 24 to 33 of 53)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: How about a contest.......
Date: 20 Mar 2007 06:40:02
Message: <web.45ffc7933a09fa7df1cb1e660@news.povray.org>
"Rarius" <rar### [at] rariuscouk> wrote:
> My name's Rarius and I'm a hand coder.

[snip]

> I agree that there could be a SDL/Hand coded competition... but at the same
> time there could be a modeller only competition.  Might be interesting to
> compare the two!
>
> Rarius

nitpicking but if you want to run two competitions you could have one for
pure hand coding and one for assisted by a modeller. Or subsections in the
same competition.
My tuppence worth.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 20 Mar 2007 08:00:00
Message: <45ffdad0@news.povray.org>
While I believe this is an interesting discussion overall, let me put here a
blasphemous thought in this context: Why a contest or a competition? While I
enjoy participating in a contest or two once in a while, I must say that
they distract me also from the current rendering projects I am working on.
That is why I love p.b.i. because you can show whatever you want to show and
get response at the same time. I don't care very much about the contest
spirit itself. Personally, I am much more interested in the evolution of
concepts and styles people are showing us here.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> While I believe this is an interesting discussion overall, let me put here a
> blasphemous thought in this context: Why a contest or a competition? While I
> enjoy participating in a contest or two once in a while, I must say that
> they distract me also from the current rendering projects I am working on.
> That is why I love p.b.i. because you can show whatever you want to show and
> get response at the same time. I don't care very much about the contest
> spirit itself. Personally, I am much more interested in the evolution of
> concepts and styles people are showing us here.
>
> Thomas

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote:
> "Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> > While I believe this is an interesting discussion overall, let me put here a
> > blasphemous thought in this context: Why a contest or a competition? While I
> > enjoy participating in a contest or two once in a while, I must say that
> > they distract me also from the current rendering projects I am working on.
> > That is why I love p.b.i. because you can show whatever you want to show and
> > get response at the same time. I don't care very much about the contest
> > spirit itself. Personally, I am much more interested in the evolution of
> > concepts and styles people are showing us here.
> >
> > Thomas
>

> Stephen

Wow!

Lot's of better comments this time. The reason for a contest is it spurs
actions that day to day " Hey, what if we did this?" evolution won't see
the need for. In other words, the pressure of a contest brings out the best
and worst of a tool you are competing with. While I agree ( from an American
viewpoint) that too much competition can be bad, even to the point of
causing damage, I think POV is safe here. As for improvements being up to
the POV Team, I'm sure they would appreciate the inputs that a competition
would cause. After all look how good they've done so far! As for me
starting my own contest, I'm afraid I'm a pauper. Usually the best interest
in a competition comes when a major player advertizer offers a major prize.
( I'll bet that Johnny Yip of the 2004 competition hasn't thrown away that
prize yet!)

Thanks to all,

Swampie

Post a reply to this message

"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> schreef in bericht

> Don't you dare bring the majority view into this:-) And that coming from
> someone who can't find the time to think of entering a competition.

Oups! That hurts!  :-)

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> Lot's of better comments this time. The reason for a contest is it spurs
> actions that day to day " Hey, what if we did this?" evolution won't see
> the need for. In other words, the pressure of a contest brings out the best
> and worst of a tool you are competing with. While I agree ( from an American
> viewpoint) that too much competition can be bad, even to the point of
> causing damage, I think POV is safe here. As for improvements being up to
> the POV Team, I'm sure they would appreciate the inputs that a competition
> would cause. After all look how good they've done so far! As for me
> starting my own contest, I'm afraid I'm a pauper. Usually the best interest
> in a competition comes when a major player advertizer offers a major prize.
> ( I'll bet that Johnny Yip of the 2004 competition hasn't thrown away that
> prize yet!)
>
> Thanks to all,
>
> Swampie

Can you run that by me again, in English :-)

Flippancy aside, Does a prize increase the standard? My personal opinion is
like sport there is more fun in being an amateur.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

"Rarius" <rar### [at] rariuscouk> wrote:
> bloody intricate and powerful things in it.  Many years ago I downloaded a
> Lightwave model of a B5 Shadow ship... all 12Mb of it as a triangle mesh! I
> did the same as a SDL Blob in under 10kb!

Scary, spidery things as I recall. It might have been the actual model used
for the effects shots, too... didn't they use Lightwave? On a render farm
of Amigas, IIRC...

Bill

Post a reply to this message

> Lot's of better comments this time. The reason for a contest is it spurs
> actions that day to day " Hey, what if we did this?" evolution won't see
> the need for. In other words, the pressure of a contest brings out the
> best
> and worst of a tool you are competing with.
Yes, I would agree with that, but we need to define better the term
'contest' then. Is its primary purpose to systematically go to the utmost
limits of the program? Personally, I don't think so. It might happen, sure,
but it is not the reason for doing a contest in the first place, unless you
want it to be part of an ongoing testing/developing scheme. However, that
would not be really a contest anymore. And don't forget that POV-Ray already
evolves from the many, many comments and requests generated in all these
newsgroups. So, frankly, I continue playing the devil's advocate and see
where this may lead.

> While I agree ( from an American
> viewpoint) that too much competition can be bad, even to the point of
> causing damage, I think POV is safe here. As for improvements being up to
> the POV Team, I'm sure they would appreciate the inputs that a competition
> would cause. After all look how good they've done so far!
Oh yes! I certainly agree with that.

> As for me
> starting my own contest, I'm afraid I'm a pauper. Usually the best
> interest
> in a competition comes when a major player advertizer offers a major
> prize.
Aah! The goodies! :-) Yes, that can be an incentive, I won't deny that.
Shouldn't be an overruling reason, though :-)

> ( I'll bet that Johnny Yip of the 2004 competition hasn't thrown away that
> prize yet!)
Of course! and rightly so!

> Thanks to all,
And to you.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Kyle
Date: 20 Mar 2007 13:34:20
Message: <589003dq1kbn9gjvq4834llibshptidukf@4ax.com>
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:50:34 EST, "swampie" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

>Comments Please?

Instead of having a contest, how about having a round of ping-pong?  One player
creates a basic scene, and then another player takes that scene and adds his/her twist
to it.  The scene then goes back
and forth between the players for a predefined number of rounds.  Each pass between
the players can be posted in povray.binaries.images and povray.binaries.scene-files so
that everyone can observe the
progress.

Perhaps instead of just two players, it could become a round-robin event among a group
of players.  It would have to be somehow decided ahead of time who will be in the
group and the order in which to
pass the scene.  We'd probably have to account for players missing their round and/or
provide a time limit in which to complete changes.

I think either one of these ideas would be fun.  It would likely have to be POV-Ray
only, since that would be the common software in use amongst us all.  There would be
no winners or losers, just a
fun way for different talents to collaborate on a common scene.

What do you think?

Kyle

Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 20 Mar 2007 13:35:01
Message: <web.460028db3a09fa7dc150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> While I believe this is an interesting discussion overall, let me put here a
> blasphemous thought in this context: Why a contest or a competition? While I
> enjoy participating in a contest or two once in a while, I must say that
> they distract me also from the current rendering projects I am working on.
> That is why I love p.b.i. because you can show whatever you want to show and
> get response at the same time. I don't care very much about the contest
> spirit itself. Personally, I am much more interested in the evolution of
> concepts and styles people are showing us here.
>
> Thomas

I agree with this somewhat.  I have my own little pet projects that I work
on from time to time.  As for contests, I prefer challenge type contests to
outright contests (i.e., CGSphere, 3DRender lighting challenges
(http://3drender.com/challenges/index.htm), etc.)  occasionally people post
pseudo-challenges here, or will ask how to do something and unwittingly
provoke a spontaneous challenge from the community.  While prizes and glory
are nice, I much prefer seeing what people are able to come up with and
praise/criticism on what I come up with.
To me this all describes the nature of POV-Ray and the majority of the
community (IMO) and the spirit of POV-Ray as the "underdog" raytracer that
is capable of kicking the big boys butts in the right hands.

-tgq