POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How about a contest....... : Re: How about a contest....... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:12:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How about a contest.......
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 20 Mar 2007 13:35:01
Message: <web.460028db3a09fa7dc150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> While I believe this is an interesting discussion overall, let me put here a
> blasphemous thought in this context: Why a contest or a competition? While I
> enjoy participating in a contest or two once in a while, I must say that
> they distract me also from the current rendering projects I am working on.
> That is why I love p.b.i. because you can show whatever you want to show and
> get response at the same time. I don't care very much about the contest
> spirit itself. Personally, I am much more interested in the evolution of
> concepts and styles people are showing us here.
>
> Thomas

I agree with this somewhat.  I have my own little pet projects that I work
on from time to time.  As for contests, I prefer challenge type contests to
outright contests (i.e., CGSphere, 3DRender lighting challenges
(http://3drender.com/challenges/index.htm), etc.)  occasionally people post
pseudo-challenges here, or will ask how to do something and unwittingly
provoke a spontaneous challenge from the community.  While prizes and glory
are nice, I much prefer seeing what people are able to come up with and
praise/criticism on what I come up with.
To me this all describes the nature of POV-Ray and the majority of the
community (IMO) and the spirit of POV-Ray as the "underdog" raytracer that
is capable of kicking the big boys butts in the right hands.

-tgq