POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How about a contest....... : Re: How about a contest....... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:14:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How about a contest.......
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 20 Mar 2007 10:38:42
Message: <46000002$1@news.povray.org>
"swampie" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
news:web.45fff7343a09fa7d662071b70@news.povray.org...

> Lot's of better comments this time. The reason for a contest is it spurs
> actions that day to day " Hey, what if we did this?" evolution won't see
> the need for. In other words, the pressure of a contest brings out the
> best
> and worst of a tool you are competing with.
Yes, I would agree with that, but we need to define better the term
'contest' then. Is its primary purpose to systematically go to the utmost
limits of the program? Personally, I don't think so. It might happen, sure,
but it is not the reason for doing a contest in the first place, unless you
want it to be part of an ongoing testing/developing scheme. However, that
would not be really a contest anymore. And don't forget that POV-Ray already
evolves from the many, many comments and requests generated in all these
newsgroups. So, frankly, I continue playing the devil's advocate and see
where this may lead.

> While I agree ( from an American
> viewpoint) that too much competition can be bad, even to the point of
> causing damage, I think POV is safe here. As for improvements being up to
> the POV Team, I'm sure they would appreciate the inputs that a competition
> would cause. After all look how good they've done so far!
Oh yes! I certainly agree with that.

> As for me
> starting my own contest, I'm afraid I'm a pauper. Usually the best
> interest
> in a competition comes when a major player advertizer offers a major
> prize.
Aah! The goodies! :-) Yes, that can be an incentive, I won't deny that.
Shouldn't be an overruling reason, though :-)

> ( I'll bet that Johnny Yip of the 2004 competition hasn't thrown away that
> prize yet!)
Of course! and rightly so!

> Thanks to all,
And to you.