POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My hat is off to all of you! Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:26:12 EDT (-0400)
  My hat is off to all of you! (Message 1 to 10 of 43)
From: Dan Farmer
Subject: My hat is off to all of you!
Date: 28 Oct 2006 23:55:01
Message: <web.454424fd3edefd164f37ee910@news.povray.org>
Hello.  Some of you may know me, some of you may not.  I was involved in the
early days of POV-Ray and even DKB Trace.  I'm afraid that I probably burned
myself out after several years of not only creating traces, but doing
CompuServe support and attempting in a limited way to add functionality to
the POV-Ray source code, which I barely understood with my FoxPro and Basic
background.

I've stopped by a few times over the years, posted a couple of messages, and
have frequently perused the competition sites.  I have to tell all of you
that I am SO blown away by how you're using POV-Ray, and by the
mind-boggling features that have been added to it!  We only used to DREAM
of these days.  I wrote a suite of programs that rendered an image in
slices on a network of 5 x286's and then pasted the slices together.  It
took all night to do an antialized 800x600 image of a glass sphere over a
checker
board!

Enough war stories... I just had to say that I am so very glad to see that
my dream of a free and totally state-of-the-art raytracer has flourished.
I also must blushingly admit that I have felt much pride in noticing many
of my now humble old scene files still proudly available as samples.

I doubt that I will ever get back to creating my own scenes.  I'd have to
start back at square #1, and there are now so many new squares on this
checkerboard now!  Still,  looking at what you've all done with what David
started, and Drew, Chris, and so many others continued has been a very rare
and precious experience.  And I must also thank Chris Cason.  He has taken
this project to places we never dreamed of.   Thanks, buddy!

Dan Farmer

Post a reply to this message