POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My hat is off to all of you! Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  My hat is off to all of you! (Message 11 to 20 of 43)
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: My hat is off to all of you!
Date: 30 Oct 2006 01:37:16
Message: <45459d9c@news.povray.org>
Dan Farmer wrote:
> Hello.  Some of you may know me, some of you may not.

By reputation only.  Hello, glad to finally "meet" you.

> I doubt that I will ever get back to creating my own scenes.

You are before my time but even many of the great artist that were
current when I first discovered this have also moved on.  Saddens me,
because in a way we do this for each other.  But I, as well as anyone,
know the feeling of an interest having run its course.

  I'd have to
> start back at square #1, and there are now so many new squares on this
> checkerboard now!

Yes but that *vision*, that knowledge of what looks right, that is the
precious and portable thing, more than the technical wizardry.  The
enduring appeal of your stuff, done with relatively few tools, proves it.

  Still,  looking at what you've all done with what David
> started, and Drew, Chris, and so many others continued has been a very rare
> and precious experience.

It continues to excite.  Expecially when I see the youger guys taking up
the torch.

  And I must also thank Chris Cason.  He has taken
> this project to places we never dreamed of.   Thanks, buddy!

I never feel his contribution is given adequate accord.

-Jim Charter

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 30 Oct 2006 04:19:29
Message: <4545c3a1$1@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> schreef in bericht

> have taken a look at Povray Hall of Fame yet?
> http://hof.povray.org/

Yes, but I was in fact thinking about something else entirely: a repository
interesting for POV-Ray's history, with the first ever-rendered scenes for
instance, or the first include files (Chris Colefax?). That kind of stuff.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 30 Oct 2006 04:53:53
Message: <4545cbb1@news.povray.org>
Dan Farmer wrote:
> Enough war stories... I just had to say that I am so very glad to see that
> my dream of a free and totally state-of-the-art raytracer has flourished.

   And we all must thank you both for helping to achieve the dream, and
for being so great inspiration for us.

> I doubt that I will ever get back to creating my own scenes.

   I hope you will try it at least: there is the possibility that you
get hooked again... ;)

--
Jaime

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 30 Oct 2006 10:03:05
Message: <45461429$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Dan! Great to see you here;)

Dan Farmer wrote:
> I also must blushingly admit that I have felt much pride in noticing many
> of my now humble old scene files still proudly available as samples.

Speaking of which, did you get my email from last month about this?

  http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/Docs/credits.html

your classic chess2.pov scene has legs still ;)

> of these days.  I wrote a suite of programs that rendered an image in
> slices on a network of 5 x286's and then pasted the slices together.  It

your post has excellent timing too, I am about to release a build today that
has experimental real-time raytracing support, this is a first for us (apart
from the easter egg). you may want to check out my post on the subject later
on today.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: mil01
Date: 31 Oct 2006 11:25:00
Message: <web.45477898cdd2e860e31c21340@news.povray.org>
I want to join that collective "thank you".

I'm a quiet new user coming from blender world and I use povray for my
professional renderings. ( new POVRAY section on the image gallery of
blender.org coming soon...)

Unfortunatly, I'm a very bad english writer, so I won't tell much....

Just one thing, where can I find some information on povray's
team,developement and future ? :-)

So.... --Thank You--  to all of you.

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 31 Oct 2006 17:14:30
Message: <4547cac6$1@news.povray.org>

web.454424fd3edefd164f37ee910@news.povray.org...
> Hello.

Many thanks for stopping by... and for all the rest! You can't imagine how
much some of us owe you and the other early POV-Ray artists (1) and
developers.

G.

(1) You wouldn't know whether Mike Miller is still around by chance? He's
been missing for the past 10 years :(

Post a reply to this message

From: Dan Farmer
Date: 1 Nov 2006 21:35:00
Message: <web.454958f2cdd2e8604f37ee910@news.povray.org>
"jute" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> On one of *my* fresh starts I made a version of fish13 with modern water
> and media clouds ... i wonder why i can't find it now ..

I'd love to see that.  Has anybody heard from Mike Miller again?
Unfortunately, Googling a name like that is less than useless.  He
certainly raised the bar, didn't he?!

> When was the last time you used Fractint? :-)

Actually, I downloaded it a couple of years ago, but I don't think it had
changed much, if at all.  I sure miss Tim Wegner.  Once again, has anybody
heard from HIM?  He visited me here in Minnesota about a dozen years ago
when his daughter was attending school here.  Wonderful guy!

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 2 Nov 2006 13:25:00
Message: <web.454a376bcdd2e860347ebb530@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> (1) You wouldn't know whether Mike Miller is still around by chance? He's
> been missing for the past 10 years :(

hmm, a quick googling for "Mike Miller" led me to:
http://moca.virtual.museum/miller.htm

which shows his classic povray raytraced images as well as informing he
lives in Ohio.

and then, searching for "Mike Miller graphics" got me to:
http://www.nationaltheatre.org/credits.htm

which credits the web design to some Mike Miller, from Ohio too.

here's a picture of the webdesigner:
http://www.nationaltheatre.org/art/MillerMikeLaptop100h.jpg

does anyone know if it's the same guy?

nobody is ever lost, everyone is webbed... ;)

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 2 Nov 2006 13:31:35
Message: <454a3987@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> http://www.nationaltheatre.org/art/MillerMikeLaptop100h.jpg
>
> does anyone know if it's the same guy?

unless he's changed quite a lot, I don't think that's him (though it's hard
to tell at that size).

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 2 Nov 2006 20:15:01
Message: <web.454a96cccdd2e8607eb08d40@news.povray.org>
> unless he's changed quite a lot, I don't think that's him (though it's hard
> to tell at that size).

what about this?
http://www.dispatch.com/2006/02/06/20060206-Pc-E1-0700.jpg

It's from a Columbus, Ohio journal.  Depicts a Columbus College of Art and
Design professor teaching "game design" (!!).  Webdesign for the jornal by
some Douglas Miller guy:
http://home.columbus.rr.com/dougmiller/

Doug is also a 1970's graduate from CCAD
(http://www.ccad.edu/alumni10-1970s.htm), like Mike, and knows povray and
worked with Mike on a studio called "Head Spin Studios", which was headed
by Mike according to http://moca.virtual.museum/miller.htm.

here's proof, from Doug's previous (?) site:
http://www.highenergygraphics.com/hienergy.php?stream=&fileID=49

look at the cup logo.

many coincidences?  or just too much assumptions?... :))

ah!  the power of hypertext and the semantic web! :D