POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Different textures depending on slope/steepness? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Different textures depending on slope/steepness? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Kaggen
Subject: Different textures depending on slope/steepness?
Date: 26 Jul 2006 13:10:00
Message: <web.44c7a0b4959d8fec570bd89c0@news.povray.org>
Hi!

I'm into rendering landscapes right now, and i've been fairly successfull.
The one thing i can't get my head around is how i control textures
depending on how steep the slope (on a mountain side for example) is. I
found something called slope_map, but thats not what i'm looking for.

I also read somwhere that one can use the trace command, but it seems kind
of hard (i'm not that good at math).

The thing i wan't to do is to control, for example, grass and stone textures
depending on steepness of a mountainside. Where the surface is relativley
plain, i want to have a grass texture, where it's steep i wan't to have a
stone texture.

/Mats

Post a reply to this message

> I'm into rendering landscapes right now, and i've been fairly successfull.
> The one thing i can't get my head around is how i control textures
> depending on how steep the slope (on a mountain side for example) is. I
> found something called slope_map, but thats not what i'm looking for.
>
> I also read somwhere that one can use the trace command, but it seems kind
> of hard (i'm not that good at math).
>
> The thing i wan't to do is to control, for example, grass and stone textures
> depending on steepness of a mountainside. Where the surface is relativley
> plain, i want to have a grass texture, where it's steep i wan't to have a
> stone texture.
>
> /Mats

slope pattern (3.5.11.30  Slope in the docs)

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

> I'm into rendering landscapes right now, and i've been fairly successfull.
> The one thing i can't get my head around is how i control textures
> depending on how steep the slope (on a mountain side for example) is. I
> found something called slope_map, but thats not what i'm looking for.
>
> I also read somwhere that one can use the trace command, but it seems kind
> of hard (i'm not that good at math).
>
> The thing i wan't to do is to control, for example, grass and stone textures
> depending on steepness of a mountainside. Where the surface is relativley
> plain, i want to have a grass texture, where it's steep i wan't to have a
> stone texture.
>
> /Mats

Also should note that slope_map has nothing to do with what you want.
Slope_map is for creating custom surface normal waveforms

-tgq

Post a reply to this message