POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Animating People Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Animating People (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Chambers
Subject: Animating People
Date: 25 Jan 2006 19:40:01
Message: <web.43d81a10670091f6eed49ef10@news.povray.org>
I've been away from POV for a bit (around 1 1/2 years), so I haven't been
keeping up on what other people are doing.  I'd like to animate a person,
and I don't know if anyone's yet come up with an elegant solution for that
(ie, using a common file format such as skinned models from games would be
an elegant solution; typing in hundreds of bezier patches for each from
would not).  What have other people been doing to solve this problem?

If I need to, I'll work out my own system; I'd just rather not reinvent the
wheel.

....Chambers

Post a reply to this message

"Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> I've been away from POV for a bit (around 1 1/2 years), so I haven't been
> keeping up on what other people are doing.  I'd like to animate a person,
> and I don't know if anyone's yet come up with an elegant solution for that
> (ie, using a common file format such as skinned models from games would be
> an elegant solution; typing in hundreds of bezier patches for each from
> would not).  What have other people been doing to solve this problem?
>
> If I need to, I'll work out my own system; I'd just rather not reinvent
> the
> wheel.
>
> ....Chambers

Hi Chambers,

I recently posted an Alpha copy of POV-Person. It generates a range of
people, does animations and a bunch of other stuff. It's free and is
designed to be readily extended. It doesn't yet have any converters for
common anatomical model file formats, but over the weekend I wrote a BVH
converter to convert some free motion capture data to POV-Person format to
increase the number of poses that it can handle, so that's coming soon (as
soon as I've debugged my converter).

It's still a work in progress and I get the impression that hardly anyone
has done anything with it yet, but then it's not been out for long.

I posted the source here:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3C43bb0b2b%40news.povray.org%3E/

There's an example of a walking animation I generated using it here:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/attachment/%3C434287ae%40news.povray.org%3E/pp00animationexample0101.gif

Other Alternatives
------------------
Zeger Knaepen is working on an animated Muscle modelling macro. See the
thread:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/thread/%3C43c6bed8%40news.povray.org%3E/

Most of the human forms in POV-Ray I've seen on the newsgroups recently have
been exported from Poser or from modellers.
I think this is how the 'Fighting Temeraire and Friend' mpeg that Stephen
posted at
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/thread/%3Co5cos1tjr1upujtsa0417f0cqtq8ddeg16%404ax.com%3E/
was probably generated. It was his posting and his link to the BVH files
that got me writing the converter mentioned above.

Otherwise, most POV Scenes still seem largely devoid of human life.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:37:33 -0000, "Chris B"
<c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote:

>I think this is how the 'Fighting Temeraire and Friend' mpeg that Stephen
>posted at
>http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/thread/%3Co5cos1tjr1upujtsa0417f0cqtq8ddeg16%404ax.com%3E/
>was probably generated. It was his posting and his link to the BVH files
>that got me writing the converter mentioned above.

Of course, you are right. It was some new BVH files that I found
(available if anyone wants them 2.5 Meg) that prompted me to post.

I'm interested to hear about your converter, keep us informed.

Post a reply to this message

"Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> I've been away from POV for a bit (around 1 1/2 years), so I haven't been
> keeping up on what other people are doing.  I'd like to animate a person,
> and I don't know if anyone's yet come up with an elegant solution for that
> (ie, using a common file format such as skinned models from games would be
> an elegant solution; typing in hundreds of bezier patches for each from
> would not).  What have other people been doing to solve this problem?
>
> If I need to, I'll work out my own system; I'd just rather not reinvent the
> wheel.
>
> ....Chambers

Some have done it with just intelligent stacking of a lot of spheres.
(See the source code for Pool Shark at
http://irtc.org/anims/1998-10-15.html)

I myself use either CSG, blobs, or Mike William's sweepspline code
(http://flickr.com/photos/pterandon/sets/110545/).
I haven't released the code because I vascillate between thinking it too
lame or too precious.  I did put a basic stick figure using cylinders into
one of these forums a long time ago. It's the same system, just prettier.

If you build your system where you think in the construction of every
element in terms of transforms, then you can set up a separate scene file
to define all your transforms as a function of the clock.  Build it with
time-zero construction, then instert a
transform{Your_Right_Forearm_Transform} at the end. Then figure out a
transform that moves that limb from the time-zero position to the position
you want it in.

I haven't figured out how to make bicubic patches work where povray SDL
itself does the bending and stretching.

Post a reply to this message

> Of course, you are right. It was some new BVH files that I found
> (available if anyone wants them 2.5 Meg) that prompted me to post.

I wouldn't mind seeing them. I went looking for BHV files on google a
while ago, but I could only find the specs. What terms did you use, or
did you get them from someone "in person"?

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
    Luke, the Force is a powerful ally,

Post a reply to this message