POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Granular Media Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:27:27 EDT (-0400)
  Granular Media (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Bryan Heit
Subject: Granular Media
Date: 18 Oct 2005 16:48:50
Message: <43555fb2$1@news.povray.org>
I am trying to design a scene wherein a cell (like the ones in our body)
is filled with granular cytoplasm.  I managed to achieve this effect by
filling the interior of the cell with hundreds of small spheres.
However, this is a lot of work, and makes rendering quite slow.  I was
wondering if there was a way to setup media or interior commands which
create granular media - i.e. media with large particles, rather then the
small fog-like particles.

I read through the media tutorial and help files, but couldn't find
anything close to this.

Thanx in advance

Bryan

Post a reply to this message

Bryan Heit nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-10-18 16:48:
> I am trying to design a scene wherein a cell (like the ones in our body)
> is filled with granular cytoplasm.  I managed to achieve this effect by
> filling the interior of the cell with hundreds of small spheres.
> However, this is a lot of work, and makes rendering quite slow.  I was
> wondering if there was a way to setup media or interior commands which
> create granular media - i.e. media with large particles, rather then the
> small fog-like particles.
>
> I read through the media tutorial and help files, but couldn't find
> anything close to this.
>
> Thanx in advance
>
> Bryan
Possibilities:
isosurface using a pattern, like bozo or granite, as a function.
media using a pattern like bozo and a sharp colour_map to modulate density. Use a high
samples count
rather than many intervals if using the default sampling method, it's faster.
Sample colour_map: color_map{[0.8 rgb 0][0.8 rgb 10]}
 From 0 to 0.8, clear. from 0.8 to 1.0 high density.

The first will give you well deffined edges and allown you to use an interior
statement.
The second will give you somewhat fuzzy shapes.
Both *may* be faster than 100s of small spheres.

--
Alain
Just remember - if the world didn't suck, we would all fall off.

Post a reply to this message