POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Granular Media : Re: Granular Media Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:26:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granular Media
From: Alain
Date: 19 Oct 2005 12:46:36
Message: <4356786c$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-10-18 17:24:
> Bryan Heit <bjh### [at] NOSPAMucalgaryca> wrote:
>

>>I was wondering if there was a way to setup media or interior commands which
>>create granular media - i.e. media with large particles, rather then the
>>small fog-like particles.
>>

>>Bryan
>

> I could be wrong, but I think that there is only one "size" of partical in
> MEDIA. (And personally, I'd like to know what size that is, for future
> reference. I don't see that in the POV docs anywhere. Perhaps it's just a
> mathematical "point" with no size at all.)
>
> One way to achieve your results would be to set up an isosurface object,
> with suitable values that create lots of tiny broken-up blobby-like pieces.
> Alas, long render times would accompany that as well.
>
> Perhaps another method (just a guess) would be to set up a MEDIA / INTERIOR
> / DENSITY block with a density_map or color_map that includes some
> transparent "colors", perturb that with a granite
> pattern (or turbulence), then apply that 3D result to a sphere. Or "fill"
> the sphere
> with it.  Or something like that! Can't say that I've tried this, but it
> seems like it would work, generally speaking.
>
> Ken

There is NO size for the particles in any media. In fact, thare are no particles at
all in any
media, just sampling points along the line of view.
I made a sample scene using a media with a scaled granite pattern and second media
with a bozo
pattern. The granite pattern had a color_map like [0.9 rgb 0][1 rgb 10]. It looked
like faling rain,
just what I was looking for.

--
Alain
AAAAAA: American Association Against Acronym Abuse and Ambiguity.