POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Granular Media : Re: Granular Media Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:19:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granular Media
From: Kenneth
Date: 18 Oct 2005 17:30:00
Message: <web.435566ea14afdaaa399425f30@news.povray.org>
Bryan Heit <bjh### [at] NOSPAMucalgaryca> wrote:

> I was wondering if there was a way to setup media or interior commands which
> create granular media - i.e. media with large particles, rather then the
> small fog-like particles.
>

> Bryan

I could be wrong, but I think that there is only one "size" of partical in
MEDIA. (And personally, I'd like to know what size that is, for future
reference. I don't see that in the POV docs anywhere. Perhaps it's just a
mathematical "point" with no size at all.)

One way to achieve your results would be to set up an isosurface object,
with suitable values that create lots of tiny broken-up blobby-like pieces.
Alas, long render times would accompany that as well.

Perhaps another method (just a guess) would be to set up a MEDIA / INTERIOR
/ DENSITY block with a density_map or color_map that includes some
transparent "colors", perturb that with a granite
pattern (or turbulence), then apply that 3D result to a sphere. Or "fill"
the sphere
with it.  Or something like that! Can't say that I've tried this, but it
seems like it would work, generally speaking.

Ken