POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Positioning a camera Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:28:40 EDT (-0400)
  Positioning a camera (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Cesar
Subject: Positioning a camera
Date: 16 Apr 2005 17:40:00
Message: <web.426185608db3e684b2caa48d0@news.povray.org>
Hi! I hope I'm posting in the right place...

I'm rendering a scene and the position of the camera is calculated by a C++
program, and I'm having some trouble.

I used to set location and look-at, but now I need different movements, so I
decided to calculate location, direction, up and right. Then I started
having problems. I allways get the error that says the vectors are not
perpendicular. But I apply the same transform to the up right and direction
vectors, one after the other, how can they not ne perpendicular? Could
there be a precision problem (and the inner product be sligthly different
then zero)?

How could I solve this problem? Maybe I could transform the camera inside
povray, with "translate" and "rotate" but I'll need the up and right
vectors later in the C++ program, so I wanted to have the same values used
in povray.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Cesar

Post a reply to this message

"Cesar" <ces### [at] terracombr> wrote in message
> Hi! I hope I'm posting in the right place...
>
> I'm rendering a scene and the position of the camera is calculated by a
C++
> program, and I'm having some trouble.
>
> I used to set location and look-at, but now I need different movements, so
> decided to calculate location, direction, up and right. Then I started
> having problems. I allways get the error that says the vectors are not
> perpendicular. But I apply the same transform to the up right and
direction
> vectors, one after the other, how can they not ne perpendicular? Could
> there be a precision problem (and the inner product be sligthly different
> then zero)?
>
> How could I solve this problem? Maybe I could transform the camera inside
> povray, with "translate" and "rotate" but I'll need the up and right
> vectors later in the C++ program, so I wanted to have the same values used
> in povray.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cesar

In POVRay you could use VAngleD(V1,V2)with the up and right vectors that
your C++ program calculated to compute the angle between the vectors and use
#debug to output the result to the message window (converted to a string
with vstr()). If it is just a rounding problem you might want to use
VPerp_Adjust(V1, Axis) to adjust one of the vectors so they're
perpendicular. If it's not a rounding problem, fix the bug in your app. :-)

Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

> In POVRay you could use VAngleD(V1,V2)with the up and right vectors that
> your C++ program calculated to compute the angle between the vectors and use
> #debug to output the result to the message window (converted to a string
> with vstr()). If it is just a rounding problem you might want to use
> VPerp_Adjust(V1, Axis) to adjust one of the vectors so they're
> perpendicular. If it's not a rounding problem, fix the bug in your app. :-)
>
> Chris B.

I honestly don't think it's a bug in my app. The vectors are, for example:

direction <0,  1, 0>
up <0.198669, 0, 0.980067>
right <1.30349, 0, -0.26423>

and povray complains about perpendicularity.

direction is obvliously perpendicular to the other two, so the question is
if up and right are perpendicular. I calculated the dot product betweem
them and the result is

1.034100000000106e-07

So that tells me they are perpendicular. But the error is so small! povray
has a problem with it? I guess I could use doubles instead of floats in my
app... could that work?

While I try to figure this out, I guess I'll use those functions you
suggested as they will probably make it work. Thanks.

Post a reply to this message