POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Positioning a camera : Re: Positioning a camera Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:10:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Positioning a camera
From: Sascha Ledinsky
Date: 18 Apr 2005 14:44:21
Message: <42640005$1@news.povray.org>
> And no, using doubles in your program won't help since you transfer the
> numbers in decimal ascii.

Well, in my case it did help. I had a very similar problem (my program
set up a transformation matrix for the camera), and by swiching to
doubles I got rid of the "Camera vectors are not perpendicular" message.

Is there any other format than decimal ascii that POV would accept?

 > And does so rightly,
 > 0.198669*1.30349 + 0.980067*(-0.26423) = 4.86e-8 != 0.0

I don't know if the vista buffer would still work if POV would accept
vectors that are perpendicular within single precision limits. If yes,
the test should IMHO be changed to be less pedantic.

 > You usually orient the camera with look_at or rotations and leave up
 > and right as default (except aspect ratio)

That's true for scenes that were created "by hand" with POV-SDL. When
using external applications e.g. to animate the camera, I usually don't
orient it with look_at...

-sascha