POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Reference Ideas Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray Reference Ideas (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: Neil Kolban
Subject: Re: POV-Ray Reference Ideas
Date: 4 Jan 2005 00:18:33
Message: <41da2729$1@news.povray.org>
Tom,
Still challenged by adding new pages ... can you get us started with that
concept?

Neil

"Tom Galvin" <tom### [at] impnospamorg> wrote in message
> Neil Kolban wrote:
> > Tom,
> > Looks good.  Thanks for setting this up.  Where shall we put the image
files
> > so that we can reference them?
> >

> I have enabled uploading attachments for image files(gif,png,jpg,jpeg).
>   For additional help start here:
>
> http://povray.tirnalong.com/ow.asp?Help

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 4 Jan 2005 00:30:56
Message: <41da2a10$1@news.povray.org>
Neil Kolban wrote:
> Tom,
> Still challenged by adding new pages ... can you get us started with that
> concept?
>
> Neil

I was able to as Tom this very question in person earlier tonight!  So I
just went to the Wiki and did what he told me.  Check it out!

Post a reply to this message

From: Renderdog
Date: 4 Jan 2005 03:40:00
Message: <web.41da55477fa2ab184c7dbec50@news.povray.org>
Tom Galvin <tom### [at] impnospamorg> wrote:

> Here ya go.  Once the root DNS servers are updated, then
>
> http://povray.tirnalong.com/
>
> will point directly to
>
> http://168.100.192.152/
>
> I also added a link on http://www.tirnalong.com/ to the wiki.

The Open Wiki concept looks great but I'm not sure it
addresses many of the problems with current
documentation and references. It's simple enough
to add listings, and the formatting looks great (though
not all that different from html), but...

Is povray.tirnalong.com a website that could disappear
should you disappear? What happens to all the pages
and images should that happen?

Will there be a common concept/format to allow for quick and
easy browsing to make it useful as a reference? Are there
cross-referencing and indexing tools to allow for quick and
easy access for researching specific topics?

Will anyone be driving the site, i.e. pushing for contributions,
identifying needs, providing incentives, etc.?

Sorry to be a bit slow, but I'm not sure saying "here's
a place to post text and photos" is enough to provide the
kind of comprehensive reference I had in mind. Without
the structure of something like Mike Williams' site and
a common vision or driving force I'm not sure it will be
any more useful than the many current (well done and
useful) tutuorials scattered around the internet.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Galvin
Date: 4 Jan 2005 06:13:35
Message: <41da7a5f$1@news.povray.org>
Renderdog wrote:

> Is povray.tirnalong.com a website that could disappear
> should you disappear?

Yes.  Just like any other web site.  However, imp.org has been up for
about six years and it resides on the same server.

> What happens to all the pages and images should that happen?

I could setup a nightly offsite backup.  Anyone want to donate ftp space.

> Are there
> cross-referencing and indexing tools to allow for quick and
> easy access for researching specific topics?

Built into OpenWiki.
http://povray.tirnalong.com/ow.asp?TitleIndex
http://povray.tirnalong.com/ow.asp?FindPage  (with reg ex)

> Will anyone be driving the site, i.e. pushing for contributions,
> identifying needs, providing incentives, etc.?

I won't push.  I may nudge from time to time as interesting discussions
arise on this server.  Hopefully others will do the same, and the
natural power of a wiki will come into play.  There are a few wiki
fairies and gnomes who frequent these newsgroups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiki_fairy

> Sorry to be a bit slow, but I'm not sure saying "here's
> a place to post text and photos" is enough to provide the
> kind of comprehensive reference I had in mind.

And it may not be, however It does provide a place for people to
collaborate on documentation easily.  It is just a tool for people to
use.  Time will tell if this works or not for the community.

Post a reply to this message

From: Neil Kolban
Date: 4 Jan 2005 10:03:27
Message: <41dab03f@news.povray.org>
Tom, Jim,
Way cool!!... Thanks guys.  I got it now.  I'll start assisting with
content.

Neil

From: Renderdog
Date: 4 Jan 2005 12:25:00
Message: <web.41dad10d7fa2ab18df042bac0@news.povray.org>
Tom Galvin <tom### [at] impnospamorg> wrote:

> Yes.  Just like any other web site.  However, imp.org has been up for
> about six years and it resides on the same server.
>
> I could setup a nightly offsite backup.  Anyone want to donate ftp space.

Maybe if it takes off we can ask about having povray.org
host the information. Over the years I've seen a lot of websites
disappear but the POV-Ray organization seems pretty solid.

How does the OpenWiki relate to the Wikipedia? I notice there
is a different look (red/green links) to the OpenWiki. Once it
has some useful information I assume a link can be added to
the Wikipedia.

> Built into OpenWiki.
> http://povray.tirnalong.com/ow.asp?TitleIndex
> http://povray.tirnalong.com/ow.asp?FindPage  (with reg ex)

Nice to see the Find is limited to just the POV-Ray portion,
that will make searches quicker and more useful. Hopefully
it will work better than the POV-Ray Newsgroups Google
search (the old search was much more useful).

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiki_fairy

Are there Wiki devils?

> And it may not be, however It does provide a place for people to
> collaborate on documentation easily.  It is just a tool for people to
> use.  Time will tell if this works or not for the community.

It looks promising and it certainly will have my support, looking
forward to seeing how it evolves!

Post a reply to this message

From: Maurice
Date: 4 Jan 2005 12:46:00
Message: <41dad658$1@news.povray.org>
Tom Galvin wrote:
> Tom Melly wrote:
>

>> A wiki would be nice - gets my vote.
>>

> Here ya go.  Once the root DNS servers are updated, then
>
> http://povray.tirnalong.com/

Brilliant.
--
Maurice