POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Reference Ideas : Re: POV-Ray Reference Ideas Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Reference Ideas
From: Renderdog
Date: 4 Jan 2005 03:40:00
Message: <web.41da55477fa2ab184c7dbec50@news.povray.org>
Tom Galvin <tom### [at] impnospamorg> wrote:

> Here ya go.  Once the root DNS servers are updated, then
>
> http://povray.tirnalong.com/
>
> will point directly to
>
> http://168.100.192.152/
>
> I also added a link on http://www.tirnalong.com/ to the wiki.

The Open Wiki concept looks great but I'm not sure it
addresses many of the problems with current
documentation and references. It's simple enough
to add listings, and the formatting looks great (though
not all that different from html), but...

Is povray.tirnalong.com a website that could disappear
should you disappear? What happens to all the pages
and images should that happen?

Will there be a common concept/format to allow for quick and
easy browsing to make it useful as a reference? Are there
cross-referencing and indexing tools to allow for quick and
easy access for researching specific topics?

Will anyone be driving the site, i.e. pushing for contributions,
identifying needs, providing incentives, etc.?

Sorry to be a bit slow, but I'm not sure saying "here's
a place to post text and photos" is enough to provide the
kind of comprehensive reference I had in mind. Without
the structure of something like Mike Williams' site and
a common vision or driving force I'm not sure it will be
any more useful than the many current (well done and
useful) tutuorials scattered around the internet.