POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Reference Ideas : Re: POV-Ray Reference Ideas Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:16:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Reference Ideas
From: Tom Galvin
Date: 4 Jan 2005 06:13:35
Message: <41da7a5f$1@news.povray.org>
Renderdog wrote:

> Is povray.tirnalong.com a website that could disappear
> should you disappear?

Yes.  Just like any other web site.  However, imp.org has been up for
about six years and it resides on the same server.

> What happens to all the pages and images should that happen?

I could setup a nightly offsite backup.  Anyone want to donate ftp space.

> Are there
> cross-referencing and indexing tools to allow for quick and
> easy access for researching specific topics?

Built into OpenWiki.
http://povray.tirnalong.com/ow.asp?TitleIndex
http://povray.tirnalong.com/ow.asp?FindPage  (with reg ex)

> Will anyone be driving the site, i.e. pushing for contributions,
> identifying needs, providing incentives, etc.?

I won't push.  I may nudge from time to time as interesting discussions
arise on this server.  Hopefully others will do the same, and the
natural power of a wiki will come into play.  There are a few wiki
fairies and gnomes who frequent these newsgroups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiki_fairy

> Sorry to be a bit slow, but I'm not sure saying "here's
> a place to post text and photos" is enough to provide the
> kind of comprehensive reference I had in mind.

And it may not be, however It does provide a place for people to
collaborate on documentation easily.  It is just a tool for people to
use.  Time will tell if this works or not for the community.