POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : About THAT idea... Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  About THAT idea... (Message 42 to 51 of 61)
From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: About THAT idea...
Date: 13 Sep 2002 12:26:37
Message: <chrishuff-9E4332.12255413092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3d81f47bfeedefd415e7f0160@news.povray.org>,
 "Alex" <ale### [at] alphacit> wrote:

> Work on a patch for a booking system written in Java by a bunch of former
> code grinders, add a hard deadline (bank executive board meeting) and
> you'll develop an astounding agility in walking the sources. Heck, z80
> assembler makes clearer code to read. 14000 lines in a file and one comment

The POV source has comments, but most of them are empty
(fill-in-the-blank comments describing functions with the blanks left
unfilled), and some of them misleading or are from old code that doesn't
exist any more. And there are some fairly advanced algorithms and
mathmatics used that you are unlikely to find in a booking system.
Unless you already know all the algorithms used, learning the POV source
and the algorithms in one week is unlikely. Getting an overall
understanding of what the code does is a bit more possible.

> Development model sounds fine, IMHO. Each POV release was far more polished
> than most commercial rendering packages (realistic deadlines *do* help).

I believe what is intended is a more free license and a way for the
public to access the internal code and submit fixes or additions, the
official POV-Ray would still be controlled by the POV Team. Don't take
this as official though, the official announcement was made long ago and
hasn't been updated:
Group: povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions
Subject: POV-Team Status Report - September 1, 2000

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/