POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : --- Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:21:32 EDT (-0400)
  --- (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: How to Improve texture
Date: 1 Feb 2006 09:48:38
Message: <43e0ca46$1@news.povray.org>
RCRuiz wrote:
> I try to emulate lava, but the mapping on the texture is not good wend the
> fluid move, is like it have some global mapping , how can i fix this? and
> How can I improve this texture?

order can be important

object {
	MyObject
	translate ....
	texture { MyTexture }
}

behaves differently from:

object {
	MyObject
	texture { MyTexture }
	translate ....
}

in the second example the texture will appear to move with the object

For more detail and better tips perhaps you might try the animation groups

Post a reply to this message

From: RCRuiz
Date: 1 Feb 2006 11:20:01
Message: <web.43e0de9c69d3098a7cf320@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> RCRuiz wrote:
> > I try to emulate lava, but the mapping on the texture is not good wend the
> > fluid move, is like it have some global mapping , how can i fix this? and
> > How can I improve this texture?
>
> order can be important
>
> object {
>  MyObject
>  translate ....
>  texture { MyTexture }
> }
>
> behaves differently from:
>
> object {
>  MyObject
>  texture { MyTexture }
>  translate ....
> }
>
> in the second example the texture will appear to move with the object
>
> For more detail and better tips perhaps you might try the animation groups

mmm , I try that but it did not work :( but, any other sugestion, Thanks

Un Saludo

Post a reply to this message

>>>I try to emulate lava, but the mapping on the texture is not good wend the
>>>fluid move, is like it have some global mapping , how can i fix this? and
>>>How can I improve this texture?
>>
>>order can be important
>>
>>object {
>> MyObject
>> translate ....
>> texture { MyTexture }
>>}
>>
>>behaves differently from:
>>
>>object {
>> MyObject
>> texture { MyTexture }
>> translate ....
>>}
>>
>>in the second example the texture will appear to move with the object
>>
>>For more detail and better tips perhaps you might try the animation groups
>

> mmm , I try that but it did not work :( but, any other sugestion, Thanks
>
> Un Saludo

You see I don't know how you are attempting to get your effect but the
texture is remaining still while your object is moving/reshaping itself
through the texture.  That is how proceedural textures work.  They are
defined in potential in a stable pattern throughout the entire cartesian
space. They become manifest where they intersect with surfaces that have
been defined to possess them.  Your changing surface is intersecting the
same stable texture pattern as it shifts.  It is this understanding you
must use to rethink what you do to get the effect you want.  My earlier
post was not intended as a fix but rather as a hint to you about what is
going on in your animation.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 2 Feb 2006 05:15:34
Message: <lol3u15fi9lne96lng09dacdk1r4duvaae@4ax.com>
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 04:30:16 -0500, Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom>
wrote:

>My earlier
>post was not intended as a fix but rather as a hint to you about what is
>going on in your animation.

This is an even bigger hint, Jim. Knowing one of the answers makes me
remember you're trying to simulate movement.
(Answered on the understanding that cryptic clues are for crosswords
and you'll ask again if you can't work it out.)
It feels better if you can crack it yourself and experimenting with
minimal scenes builds up your understanding of Povray. I often include
as a text object what is changing and its value. For an example see
vect1.pov/ini in scenes > animations > vect1

Post a reply to this message

From: RCRuiz
Date: 2 Feb 2006 09:10:00
Message: <web.43e2129069d3098a7cf320@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoysATaolDOTcom@> wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 04:30:16 -0500, Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom>
> wrote:
>
> >My earlier
> >post was not intended as a fix but rather as a hint to you about what is
> >going on in your animation.
>
> This is an even bigger hint, Jim. Knowing one of the answers makes me
> remember you're trying to simulate movement.
> (Answered on the understanding that cryptic clues are for crosswords
> and you'll ask again if you can't work it out.)
> It feels better if you can crack it yourself and experimenting with
> minimal scenes builds up your understanding of Povray. I often include
> as a text object what is changing and its value. For an example see
> vect1.pov/ini in scenes > animations > vect1

well I been playing with this and I found something acceptable. Making an
avrage of the vertex on the mesh and then move the texture there with the
normalized orientation, so it look more or less good. Thanks for the help

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 3 Feb 2006 00:27:42
Message: <kdq5u1to4jeo9fg5vnm9pljv2kmup0m82a@4ax.com>
On Thu,  2 Feb 2006 09:09:20 EST, "RCRuiz"
<ram### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>well I been playing with this and I found something acceptable. Making an
>avrage of the vertex on the mesh and then move the texture there with the
>normalized orientation, so it look more or less good. Thanks for the help

Good, I hope that you will post your final result.