POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:12:35 EDT (-0400)
  JPEG2000 (Message 92 to 101 of 231)
From: Eamon Caddigan
Subject: Re: JPEG2000
Date: 7 Mar 2004 18:24:30
Message: <404baf2e$1@news.povray.org>
IMBJR <no### [at] spamhere> wrote:
> On 7 Mar 2004 17:50:32 -0500, Eamon Caddigan <eca### [at] uiucedu>
> wrote:
>
>>IMBJR <no### [at] spamhere> wrote:

>>> Hey, parrot boy. Come up with something a little more original than
>>> that. That's just first-grade heckling.
>>>
>>> PS. This is indeed how it works - demand targets are set by the telco,
>>> but actually the technology will just not cover my home area.
>>
>>Looks like you drew the short straw when they were handing out broadband
>>coverage then.
>
> Damn straight I did. I'm ever so slightly out of range. It's a pain in
> the bum for sure - otherwise I'd be able to publish much large
> projects involving animation.

You should move.

-Eamon

Post a reply to this message

From: jgentry
Date: 7 Mar 2004 18:27:55
Message: <Xns94A5B1AAD2D51jgentryev1filternet@203.29.75.35>
"Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote in

> In article <98rm40hhssc2d14g1u8c6fnbfrt1a801u2@4ax.com> , IMBJR
> <no### [at] spamhere>  wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 19:07:43 +0100, "Thorsten Froehlich"
>> <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
>>>
>>>But JPEG 2000 is not a fix, it is a problem: It fails the fundamental
>>>design goal of any exchange format: Simplicity.
>>
>> Hahahaha! Like JPEG is simple. Ever tried reading the standard. Lord
>> its a mind-poker!
>
> I implemented an encoder a few years ago without any problems.
> Reading it is no big deal once one gets used to the fact that the
> format decoding is specified, but not the encoding process itself.  Of
> course, to someone thinking JPEG is complex, JPEG 2000 must appear no
> different....
>
>>>Both JPEG and PNG offer a simple
>>>interchange format, JPEG 2000 is far from simple on the other hand.
>>>That it offeres better lossy compression, well, that is to be
>>>expected from a format created many years later, isn't it? ;-)
>>
>> Yes, so perhaps its time to stop nannying people and allow them to
>> use it to improve the appearance of images they post
>
> Nobody did.
>
>>>Either way, and even if you don't agree with me, there are two facts
>>>that won't change soon:
>>>The web news view vill only support the three standard web image
>>>formats (GIF, PNG and JPEG).
>>
>> So you are going stall on this because of more inertia - the lack of
>> enthusiasm to get it working right, to figure a solution out. You are
>> going to let a minor thing like that get in the way?
>
> So you question my "enthusiasm to get [the web news view] working
> right"? You are entitled to your opinion, but I really think you just
> want a flame war.  Probably that is why you posted the image in the
> first place.
>
> Next time, take such thing to povray.off-topic, not povray.general or
> p.b.i!
>
> Guess I will have to enable your killfile entry again.  Just noticed I
> had you in there before, but as you hadn't caused conflict in any
> groups I read for a long time, your entry was inactive...
>
>     Thorsten

> Thorsten Froehlich
> e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg
>
> I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.

<sigh>

IMBJR = *plonk* since shortly after his posts on this started to degrade
to profanity.

If the profanity and intentional "egging-on" don't stop, will he get the
Bill Treatment?

I don't really care what format he posts his images in, but isn't using
profane language (at least) against the povray forums rules and
regulations?

-->Jeff

--
No signature here, move along...