POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
4 Aug 2024 08:25:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: IMBJR
Date: 7 Mar 2004 18:39:32
Message: <lmcn40de2n5lhp6mc2r272t3csbqsqkqp8@4ax.com>
On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 16:20:38 -0700, Patrick Elliott
<sha### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Ease of use in standards? - oh, boy, are you ever way off the mark. I
>> work in the software industry and the numerous standards I come into
>> contact with certainly do not feature ease of use as their main drive.
>>

>The real problem here is that companies like Microsoft equate "Ease of
>Use" with dumming things down to a point where a chimpanzee can use the
>basics of a program, but preventing anyone that knows what the hell they
>are doing from accomplishing real work that requires real and *stable*
>features. The result is it actually gets harder to do anything creative
>or useful with the software, not easier. Case in point - I had a test
>project in VB I wanted to design. VB handles all the maintenance and
>complicated BS like making sure memory is freed when classes go out of
>scope and other matters that require 2-3 times as much time to code and
>debug, but MS also left out most basic API support, requiring that you
>link it externally and have the C++ headers to find values for things
>like flags. Nothing they make that provides API library documentation
>bothers to tell you what the hell any of those values are.
>
>The entire program once I tracked down all the stuff I needed was maybe
>200 lines. Had I tried to code it in C++ I would have had to fight with
>GCC or the free Borland, which would have made the task 20 times harder
>than using VC++. I could use VC++, but the version I have was made back
>when Windows 95 first came out and I can't afford a new version, so I am
>screwed out of most simple ATL solutions I could have employed to make my
>life easier. But the time I finished I would have had 2000 lines of code
>and half of it I wouldn't have the slightly clue how it worked or if I
>missed some memory leak or other problem.
>
>I am also still trying to find some way to get around the fact that VB
>intentionally hides the Invoke and QueryInterface functions that allow
>you to do simple things like switching a window and its controls between
>design and run mode. All in all, I love VB for the ease of design, but
>the implementation and artificial limitations they put into it because of
>the "VB programmer won't need or want this" mentality makes anything
>beyond die cast, one size fits all program designs difficult to the point
>of near impossibility. There is no valid excuse for this, save for the
>belief that MS has that it should cater its efforts to the lowest common
>denominator, all of whom are apparently too stupid to code real software
>or use the Windows API properly.
>
>Sadly, much of the computer industry you talk about being a part of take
>their own cues from the 'stupid is better' philosophy that MS uses, so it
>isn't surprising that "Ease of Use" means "practically useless" and
>"versatile" tends to be an alias for "complicated and hard to use".
>Claiming that this is normal, expected or somehow unavoidable imho
>implies your association with the wrong crowd of people, not a law of

I concur 100%.

My particular bugbear is MS Access. Fine if you like keeping your
record collection indexed in a digital fashion. Absolute pants if you
want to record information in a meaningful manner with ease-of-entry
of new data.

>BTW, most of the *standards* MS comes up with are by their own admittance
>designed to be intentionally difficult, overly complicated and badly
>implemented. They believe designing such things will give them an edge
>over Linux and other open source projects, by making it impractical or
>too complicated to provide compatibility. I.e., screw the customer and
>developers by making it harder for them to use things, so that they have
>no choice but to consult with you or buy your solution. If you use simple
>standards that make sense, anyone can design with them, and there is no
>reason for your customer to buy the latest version of *your* database,
>spreadsheet, <place type of product here> solution. Don't believe me?:
>
>http://www.opensource.org/halloween/
>
>MS' description of how to deal with people using 'simple' protocols like
>HTTP or anything else people can actually figure out makes for a very
>interesting read.

This really is not limited to MS. I have to deal with standards from
varying sources and they suck and blow at the same time. It's always a
pain in the rump to have to consider them. But I have to do this on a
daily basis. Gnash!

My First Subgenius Picture Book:
http://www.imbjr.com