POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Text color in HTML-Docs Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  Text color in HTML-Docs (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: rascal
Subject: Text color in HTML-Docs
Date: 21 Jun 2004 11:56:49
Message: <web.40d6c8d6a51ca6b65b8fe1350@news.povray.org>
Using a CDE-like desktop color scheme (light text color, dark background),
html docs included in the version 3.6 package of POV-Ray are not completely
readable as the doc background color is light, too.

Using an entry "color: #0000a0 ;" in the body section of povray35.css would
be a remedy without affecting standard desktop color schemes (dark text,
light background).

Post a reply to this message

> Using a CDE-like desktop color scheme (light text color, dark background),
> html docs included in the version 3.6 package of POV-Ray are not completely
> readable as the doc background color is light, too.
 >
> Using an entry "color: #0000a0 ;" in the body section of povray35.css would
> be a remedy without affecting standard desktop color schemes (dark text,
> light background).

You can of course change the style sheet to fit your desktop scheme.
Forcing a default blue text color does not seem a good idea to me
though.  A default black would be possible - this is the default of most
browsers anyway, but this would reduce flexibility for the user (who no
more could affect it by changing his browser settings).

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

Christoph Hormann nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 21/06/2004
12:44... :

> You can of course change the style sheet to fit your desktop scheme.
> Forcing a default blue text color does not seem a good idea to me
> though.  A default black would be possible - this is the default of
> most browsers anyway, but this would reduce flexibility for the user
> (who no more could affect it by changing his browser settings).
>
> Christoph

I have a moto concerning the setting of colours: you set all of them or
you set none. You should never set only the background colour, or only
the text colour.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Jun 2004 17:15:02
Message: <cb7j2d$ceo$1@chho.imagico.de>
Alain wrote:

> I have a moto concerning the setting of colours: you set all of them or
> you set none. You should never set only the background colour, or only
> the text colour.

The background color is set to white for a reason but there isn't any
good reason to force a certain text color.

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 21 Jun 2004 19:08:14
Message: <40d76a5e@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 21/06/2004
17:13... :

> Alain wrote:
>

>> I have a moto concerning the setting of colours: you set all of them
>> or you set none. You should never set only the background colour, or
>> only  the text colour.
>

> The background color is set to white for a reason but there isn't any
> good reason to force a certain text color.
>
> Christoph

If the user have set his display to white on black (windows preset:
black high contrast), you just made the text invisible: white on white.
THATS an exellent reason to also set the text colour.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 23 Jun 2004 13:37:47
Message: <40d9bfeb$1@news.povray.org>
In article <40d76a5e@news.povray.org> , Alain <aze### [at] qwertygov>  wrote:

> If the user have set his display to white on black (windows preset:
> black high contrast), you just made the text invisible: white on white.
> THATS an exellent reason to also set the text colour.

That is a user problem then.  If you insist on inverting your screen, invert
it.  The POV-Ray documentation does nothing proper websites do not do
anyway, thus if you insist on black background with white text you have to
set your browser to override website settings anyway.  We cannot suit the
five people who insist on such a color scheme if there are five thousand
people who do not have such odd ideas about colors and would be in trouble
if we did something like you suggest.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Date: 23 Jun 2004 17:31:17
Message: <40d9f6a5$1@news.povray.org>

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 23 Jun 2004 23:01:13
Message: <40da43f9$1@news.povray.org>

17:30... :

> Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> | That is a user problem then.  If you insist on inverting your
> screen, invert
> | it.  The POV-Ray documentation does nothing proper websites do not do
> | anyway, thus if you insist on black background with white text you
> have to
> | set your browser to override website settings anyway.  We cannot
> suit the
> | five people who insist on such a color scheme if there are five
> thousand
> | people who do not have such odd ideas about colors and would be in
> trouble
> | if we did something like you suggest.
> |
>     You didn't read all he said: he said to either specify *both* a
> background and a foreground or neither. In either case it will work
> well no matter what the specific user configuration so you can
> satisfy both "the five people who insist on such a color scheme" and
> the "five thousand people who do not have such odd ideas about
> colors" and won't be in trouble if you do what he suggests.
>
>         Jerome

Exactly what I said. Whenever you set only one colour, you're asking for
trouble. BTW, such a colour sheme is one of the *stock* out of the box,
shemes provided by m$ windows since W95, at least!!! Black background is
great if you are stuck with some crapy old monitor that can't go over 50
Hz or 80 Hz interlaced (80 half screens/s.), as my first one. It greatly
reduce the flicker, with a white background, you need 70 Hz or more to
get rid of flickering.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 24 Jun 2004 03:32:51
Message: <40da83a3@news.povray.org>
In article <40da43f9$1@news.povray.org> , Alain <aze### [at] qwertygov>  wrote:

> Exactly what I said. Whenever you set only one colour, you're asking for
> trouble. BTW, such a colour sheme is one of the *stock* out of the box,
> shemes provided by m$ windows since W95, at least!!!

Tell that to Mosaic and Netscape!

From: Alain
Date: 24 Jun 2004 14:12:42
Message: <40db199a$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 24/06/2004
03:32... :

>In article <40da43f9$1@news.povray.org> , Alain <aze### [at] qwertygov>  wrote:
>

>>Exactly what I said. Whenever you set only one colour, you're asking for
>>trouble. BTW, such a colour sheme is one of the *stock* out of the box,
>>shemes provided by m$ windows since W95, at least!!!
>>

>Tell that to Mosaic and Netscape!
>
>    Thorsten

>Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
>e-mail: tho### [at] trfde
>
>Visit POV-Ray on the web: http://mac.povray.org

Using Netscape for ages, now Mozilla/FireFox and Mozilla Thunderbird to
compose this. I can set background to black and text to white (or just
about any imaginable colours combo) in windows and everything displays
correctly, unless the page set ONLY text colour or ONLY background colour.

Alain