POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : About PovRay 4 Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:28:28 EDT (-0400)
  About PovRay 4 (Message 31 to 40 of 42)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Dave Matthews
Subject: Re: About PovRay 4
Date: 18 Dec 2003 09:15:16
Message: <3fe1b674$1@news.povray.org>
ingo wrote:

> Although the emphasis is on Python, POV-Ray certainly has a role in it:
>
> http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/numeracy0.html
> http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/cp4e.html
>

> Ingo

Interesting links.  Thanks.  That's more than anything I've been doing.

Dave Matthews

Post a reply to this message

From: Dave Matthews
Date: 18 Dec 2003 09:35:19
Message: <3fe1bb27@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:

>But I admit I don't have any specific ideas about how to
> incorporate POV with teaching.

So far, most of what I've done has been along the lines of using POV to
create visual aids.

>Any attempts I have made to interest
> highschool math teachers I know have not lead to much interest.

This spring, when I have more time, I plan to go around to the area
highschools and talk to the math and especially computer teachers to see
if I can generate some interest among them and the students.  I'd like
to try to organize a student POVRay contest for the 2004 - 05 school
year (we'll see about that. . . .)
>I would
> be interested to know what you are doing.

At my previous school, on the Navajo reservation, I got a couple of
students interested in POVRay -- I'm not sure if they're still doing
anything.  There could be great potential there (I'm probably going to
move back; I miss it) since there's a high emphasis on the visual arts
throughout the college (students are required to take courses in
traditional Navajo arts, such as silversmithing, basketweaving and
blanket weaving.)

Here, so far, I've just been using POV for demonstrations.  I'll post up
a still from one of my animations (I make QuickTime animations, and
QuickTime doesn't export to MPEG1 -- I know, there's Movie2MPEG, and I
converted a movie at home, and forgot to bring it along to the office --
anyway. . . .)

It's easy to demonstrate cross-products, vector fields, directional
derivatives, etc., although I keep forgetting that many of the needed
functions can be found ready-made in POVRay or math.inc, and I tend to
re-invent my own.  I also make heavy use of Ingo's param.inc for
creating lots and lots of classic and new parametric surfaces.

Dave Matthews

Post a reply to this message