POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : About PovRay 4 : Re: About PovRay 4 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:10:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About PovRay 4
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 19 Dec 2003 23:06:56
Message: <cjameshuff-7D46EB.23065619122003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3fdee556$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote:

> > Is simple curiosity. Because PovRay 3.5 have a date of 2002 and i dont know
> > if the "project" stay alive, or 3.5 was the last pov.
>
> Didn't someone do a faq for this?

Back in 2000. :-/
It hasn't been updated since, but is still mostly valid:
http://news.povray.org/povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions/16712/

> Pov 4 will be a major rewrite of Pov (one of the main reasons for this is to
> allow, iirc, the code to be brought under one of the GPL licences, which is
> impossible with the current code).

Not necessarily the GPL. Quoting from that status report:

> First, we have been discussing using a new license for 4.  Various
> open-source licenses are under consideration.  We might instead use an
> updated version of POVLEGAL.  No conclusions have been reached so far, but
> the topic is under discussion within the POV-Team.

> There will be an update to 3.5 soon (iirc) - a bugfix release.

Yes.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/