POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : texture blurring Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  texture blurring (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Subject: texture blurring
Date: 20 Jul 2002 07:42:27
Message: <Xns92518ADBA1A4Draf256com@204.213.191.226>
There was question how to blur texture. One suggestion was to make many
textures and translate <> them.
My idea is to use function, but it has limitation - it's good only for
monochrome textures (i think)

Function can be :

#declare f2 = function(_x,_y,_z) {
  #local r=6;  #local sc=0.02;
  #local maxDist = sqrt(r*r*3);

  (
  #local ax=-r; #while (ax<=+r)
    #local ay=-r; #while (ay<=+r)
      #local az=-r; #while (az<=+r)
        fn2(_x+ax*sc,_y+ay*sc,_z+az*sc).gray +
      #local az=az+1; #end
    #local ay=ay+1; #end
  #local ax=ax+1; #end
  0) / pow((r*2+1),3)
}

where number of samples is (r^3)*2 + 1, and bluring radius is 'sc'.
In this version it is not so good - I want to make universal macro for
bluring, and most important - add gause (or at leaste multiply each sample
by sqrt(ax*ax + ay*ay + az*az)

My problem is - how to make real bluring for r,g,b values ?
Is it possible to use function pigment, but that function will return
color, instead of value passed to color_map ?

Maybe it would be a good idea to implement bluring in POV's code ? Because
my version is so slooow :/

btw. How is pov 3.5 handling macros ? How meany times my formula is parsed
? Once, once per sample or r^2*2+1 times per sample ?

Full source and images are posted to .b.i and .b.s-f

--

> A jedyne co czytam, ze to terrorysci internetowi z echelonu planuja
> kolejny atak na centrale TPSA
- Expert vel Jacek (obecnie gol### [at] pocztaonetpl)

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: texture blurring
Date: 20 Jul 2002 08:08:20
Message: <3D3952B3.2C4C23BA@gmx.de>
Rafal 'Raf256' Maj wrote:

> There was question how to blur texture. One suggestion was to make many
> textures and translate <> them.
> [...]

You should probably have a look at previous work in that direction:

Subject: proximity/blur pattern finally adjusted
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 08:52:33 +0100
Newsgroups: povray.binaries.images

http://news.povray.org/3k6e8u0g5po4glog938hommr66jr4cu858@4ax.com

Subject: Smoothly Blurred Patterns - blur2.jpeg (1/1)
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 12:23:44 -0500
Newsgroups: povray.binaries.images
From: Chris Huff <chr### [at] maccom>
http://news.povray.org/chrishuff-DB4B16.12234405032001@news.povray.org

Subject: Megapov MCP sample (77k)
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 17:42:36 +0100
Newsgroups: povray.binaries.images
From: Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>
http://news.povray.org/3AA2707C.CC717FC2@gmx.de

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 15 Jul. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 20 Jul 2002 08:28:04
Message: <Xns92519296B2688raf256com@204.213.191.226>
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote in

hmm, why nobody mentioned it in news:3d31d9bb@news.povray.org ?

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 20 Jul 2002 10:17:25
Message: <3D3970F5.99461D2F@gmx.de>
Rafal 'Raf256' Maj wrote:

> > You should probably have a look at previous work in that direction:
>
> hmm, why nobody mentioned it in news:3d31d9bb@news.povray.org ?

Probably because everyone thought you could search yourself... :-)

Christoph

From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 20 Jul 2002 10:22:29
Message: <Xns9251A5FD16EACraf256com@204.213.191.226>
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote in

> Subject: proximity/blur pattern finally adjusted
> http://news.povray.org/3k6e8u0g5po4glog938hommr66jr4cu858@4ax.com

as far as I understand it, this is for creating pattarn basing on object.
It doesnt allow i.e. to take hexagonal pattern and blur it to get a 'gird'
with soft half-tones. Using function can do it (for monohrome patterns)

> Subject: Smoothly Blurred Patterns - blur2.jpeg (1/1)
> http://news.povray.org/chrishuff-DB4B16.12234405032001@news.povray.org

this looks like this wat I suggested , but it's a path

Is there sens to make better version of my blur (gauss), or should I rather
wait for author of path finishes it (and maybe include to new PovRay) ?

From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 20 Jul 2002 10:23:08
Message: <Xns9251A6194D8B5raf256com@204.213.191.226>

>> > You should probably have a look at previous work in that direction:
>> hmm, why nobody mentioned it in news:3d31d9bb@news.povray.org ?
> Probably because everyone thought you could search yourself... :-)

me ? I was not asking in this toppic :)

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 20 Jul 2002 10:31:46
Message: <3D397451.F5674C70@gmx.de>
Rafal 'Raf256' Maj wrote:

> > Probably because everyone thought you could search yourself... :-)
>
> me ? I was not asking in this toppic :)

Well, that thread was much more specific so nobody mentioned it, but if
you are interested in pattern/pigment blurring in general you could have
searched for it.

Christoph

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 20 Jul 2002 10:34:50
Message: <3D39750A.47BCB03B@gmx.de>
Rafal 'Raf256' Maj wrote:

> [...]
>
> this looks like this wat I suggested , but it's a path

I just meant you might want to have a look how it's implemented there,
esp. the difference between my and Chris Huff's approach.

Christoph

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 20 Jul 2002 11:57:26
Message: <chrishuff-B1D0EA.10522820072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> My problem is - how to make real bluring for r,g,b values ?
> Is it possible to use function pigment, but that function will return
> color, instead of value passed to color_map ?

You could use 3 functions, one for each channel, and combine them using
an average pigment of 3 pigments. That would get you a blurred pigment
at about 1/3 the speed of a blurred pattern. Using an average pigment
would probably be faster. The only way I can see to blur a texture is to
use an average texture or write a patch.

> Maybe it would be a good idea to implement bluring in POV's code ? Because
> my version is so slooow :/

Some work on that has been done, search through the older messages on
these groups.

> btw. How is pov 3.5 handling macros ? How meany times my formula is parsed
> ? Once, once per sample or r^2*2+1 times per sample ?

I don't see a macro anywhere in that code. Your function is "parsed"
once, running through the #while() loops, and then executed whenever it
is called.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 20 Jul 2002 12:03:20
Message: <chrishuff-BD4C3D.10582120072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> as far as I understand it, this is for creating pattarn basing on object.
> It doesnt allow i.e. to take hexagonal pattern and blur it to get a 'gird'
> with soft half-tones. Using function can do it (for monohrome patterns)

One of my posts further into the thread was about generalizing it to
work for any pattern. It isn't blurring textures, but neither is your
approach...it is just blurring the pattern.

> > Subject: Smoothly Blurred Patterns - blur2.jpeg (1/1)
> > http://news.povray.org/chrishuff-DB4B16.12234405032001@news.povray.org
>
> this looks like this wat I suggested , but it's a path

The main idea of that patch is to make a "smooth" blur effect that would
be suitable for isosurfaces based on the object pattern. The proximity
pattern was too slow, and other blurring techniques result in a
"stepped" pattern instead of a smooth variation. The method I used was
sort of like a voxel map created on the fly and blurred/interpolated to
give the final blurred pattern. I haven't done any work on it lately,
but I haven't abandoned it either...I'll probably do some more
experimenting with it when the 3.5 source is released.

> Is there sens to make better version of my blur (gauss), or should I rather
> wait for author of path finishes it (and maybe include to new PovRay) ?

Not sure what you are asking.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/