POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : texture blurring : Re: texture blurring Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: texture blurring
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 20 Jul 2002 12:03:20
Message: <chrishuff-BD4C3D.10582120072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> as far as I understand it, this is for creating pattarn basing on object.
> It doesnt allow i.e. to take hexagonal pattern and blur it to get a 'gird'
> with soft half-tones. Using function can do it (for monohrome patterns)

One of my posts further into the thread was about generalizing it to
work for any pattern. It isn't blurring textures, but neither is your
approach...it is just blurring the pattern.

> > Subject: Smoothly Blurred Patterns - blur2.jpeg (1/1)
> > http://news.povray.org/chrishuff-DB4B16.12234405032001@news.povray.org
>
> this looks like this wat I suggested , but it's a path

The main idea of that patch is to make a "smooth" blur effect that would
be suitable for isosurfaces based on the object pattern. The proximity
pattern was too slow, and other blurring techniques result in a
"stepped" pattern instead of a smooth variation. The method I used was
sort of like a voxel map created on the fly and blurred/interpolated to
give the final blurred pattern. I haven't done any work on it lately,
but I haven't abandoned it either...I'll probably do some more
experimenting with it when the 3.5 source is released.

> Is there sens to make better version of my blur (gauss), or should I rather
> wait for author of path finishes it (and maybe include to new PovRay) ?

Not sure what you are asking.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/