POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : texture blurring : Re: texture blurring Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:16:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: texture blurring
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 20 Jul 2002 11:57:26
Message: <chrishuff-B1D0EA.10522820072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> My problem is - how to make real bluring for r,g,b values ?
> Is it possible to use function pigment, but that function will return
> color, instead of value passed to color_map ?

You could use 3 functions, one for each channel, and combine them using
an average pigment of 3 pigments. That would get you a blurred pigment
at about 1/3 the speed of a blurred pattern. Using an average pigment
would probably be faster. The only way I can see to blur a texture is to
use an average texture or write a patch.

> Maybe it would be a good idea to implement bluring in POV's code ? Because
> my version is so slooow :/

Some work on that has been done, search through the older messages on
these groups.

> btw. How is pov 3.5 handling macros ? How meany times my formula is parsed
> ? Once, once per sample or r^2*2+1 times per sample ?

I don't see a macro anywhere in that code. Your function is "parsed"
once, running through the #while() loops, and then executed whenever it
is called.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/