POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : speed up isosurface Server Time
3 Aug 2024 06:13:35 EDT (-0400)
  speed up isosurface (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Subject: speed up isosurface
Date: 4 May 2004 11:23:42
Message: <Xns94DFB0D32188Araf256com@203.29.75.35>
Hi,
are there working tools to speedup isosurface render time (at cost of
parsing time) by tringulize them?

--
http://www.raf256.com/3d/
Rafal Maj 'Raf256', home page - http://www.raf256.com/me/

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: speed up isosurface
Date: 4 May 2004 12:02:07
Message: <cjameshuff-D4E156.12012104052004@news.povray.org>
In article <Xns94DFB0D32188Araf256com@203.29.75.35>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spa### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> are there working tools to speedup isosurface render time (at cost of
> parsing time) by tringulize them?

No. If you could reliably tessellate an isosurface, you could build two
rough meshes that bracket the isosurface between them, and use the
secant method to refine the root. Or use one mesh, and use Newton's
method with a numerically approximated derivative. The biggest problem
is that first step: tessellating isosurfaces reliably is hard, and many
of the algorithms are tied up in patents.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message