POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Renderslaves Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:22:31 EDT (-0400)
  Renderslaves (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Mathias Broxvall
Subject: Renderslaves
Date: 13 May 1998 17:24:04
Message: <1d8zps7.brcy3yjxdqsoN@dialup78-2-26.swipnet.se>
Hi - Sorry to post this outside the movieproject-thread, but
I think that one has grown large enough now, and I couln't find
a suitable article to 'reply-to'...
Anyway what I  meant to say is that almost everyone seem to talk
about their computer speed when they suggest themself as
renderslaves. Isn't part of the question what kind of internet
connection they have. What point is it to render 2-3 megs of
pictures every day when you only have a 14.4K modem line to
distribute it with. It would be expensive for the slaves with
the connection costs...
Any opinions?

/ Mathias Broxvall

Post a reply to this message

>Hi - Sorry to post this outside the movieproject-thread, but
>I think that one has grown large enough now, and I couln't find
>a suitable article to 'reply-to'...
>Anyway what I  meant to say is that almost everyone seem to talk
>about their computer speed when they suggest themself as
>renderslaves. Isn't part of the question what kind of internet
>connection they have. What point is it to render 2-3 megs of
>pictures every day when you only have a 14.4K modem line to
>distribute it with. It would be expensive for the slaves with
>the connection costs...
>Any opinions?
>
>/ Mathias Broxvall

As a slave (can we not think of a better name) with a connection cost, and a
fan of POV-Ray, I had to think about what I could offer. I have spare
processing power on my home computer I'm willing to donate, I have spare
webspace I'm willing to donate, and I'm willing to create objects if needed.
However I've only done one of these; I've become a render slave.

1) I may only have a 33.6 connection to my ISP (who sometimes seems to have
less to the internet ;-), but I also have a "sneaker-net" connection (via
zip disk) to a 2Mbit connection to the internet when I need to do large
transfers, so file size isn't a problem for me.

2) I've got approx. 5MB of unused webspace available with my ISP, which I
would donate, but the quality of my ISP's service is sometimes poorly
lacking (yet at othertimes excellent), so I don't believe it would be of
benefit to the project.

3) As for creating objects or parts of the animation, I just don't feel that
my skills are good enough. If they were I would donate them.

What I'm trying to say is that I've reasoned what I can realistically offer,
and I believe that most people here would do the same. But Mathias is right,
don't become a render slave if you can't or don't want to handle the
connection costs (be they time or money).

(Possibly my longest Usenet posting yet).

Justin Whitton
jus### [at] virginnet
http://freespace.virgin.net/justin.whitton
(As mentioned above, this URL may or maynot work depending on which way the
wind is blowing at my ISP :o)

Post a reply to this message