POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : min_ and max_extent of an intersection object Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:31:00 EDT (-0400)
  min_ and max_extent of an intersection object (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: min_ and max_extent of an intersection object
Date: 26 Jun 2020 02:43:36
Message: <5ef59918$1@news.povray.org>
I should have known of course, and instead of swearing by Eagle the
Bald, sacrificing nameless things to the Clipka idol and invoking the
good spirit of Saint William of the Pokorny (in that order) for a couple
of days, I should have opened the Grimoire and read:

"Note: This is not perfect, in some cases (such as CSG intersections and
differences or isosurfaces) the bounding box does not represent the
actual dimensions of the object."

The hell it doesn't!

So, I am left with the good old trial-and-error finding of the right
dimensions/locations of intersection objects. Not a big deal afaiac ;-)

Still, I have been wondering if there would be other, smart, ways to do
the same? And - just out of pure curiosity - why do min_extent and
max_extent not work with intersections or differences? Where isosurfaces
are concerned, I can imagine indeed...

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> "Note: This is not perfect, in some cases (such as CSG intersections and
> differences or isosurfaces) the bounding box does not represent the
> actual dimensions of the object."
>
> The hell it doesn't!
>
> So, I am left with the good old trial-and-error finding of the right
> dimensions/locations of intersection objects. Not a big deal afaiac ;-)
>
> Still, I have been wondering if there would be other, smart, ways to do
> the same? And - just out of pure curiosity - why do min_extent and
> max_extent not work with intersections or differences? Where isosurfaces
> are concerned, I can imagine indeed...

LOL, the problem is so much simpler: This is a patch added from the old MegaPOV,
and all it does is provide access to the internal bounding boxes POV-Ray uses to
speed up rendering. Of course, a perfect bounding box does not matter as much
for this purpose, and the bounding in POV-Ray was never well optmised.

In fact, for CSG is is mostly additive (for the most part the biggest box
bounding all objects) and for isosurces you do actually provide the bounding box
via contained_by .

Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> I should have known of course, and instead of swearing by Eagle the
> Bald, sacrificing nameless things to the Clipka idol and invoking the

(when making sacrifices, substituting the virgins with their grandmothers does
not help!  :-))

> good spirit of Saint William of the Pokorny (in that order) for a couple
> of days, I should have opened the Grimoire and read:
>
> "Note: This is not perfect, in some cases (such as CSG intersections and
> differences or isosurfaces) the bounding box does not represent the
> actual dimensions of the object."
>
> The hell it doesn't!
>
> So, I am left with the good old trial-and-error finding of the right
> dimensions/locations of intersection objects. Not a big deal afaiac ;-)
>
> Still, I have been wondering if there would be other, smart, ways to do
> the same? ...

perhaps the 'Bounder' will work with "intersection objects"?

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message