POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Curve fitting Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:16:10 EDT (-0400)
  Curve fitting (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Stephen
Subject: Curve fitting
Date: 10 Jun 2008 10:36:45
Message: <594t44hfs6cuejciibnd0vrnkve4q303jl@4ax.com>
Does anyone know of free software :) that will give me an equation
from a set of data points?
I've been using Excel's trendline but the equation it returns
sometimes fits but often is way out. I've got a series of translations
and rotations from PoserPhysics that I want to convert into some
equations so I can replicate them in Bishop3D. (Bishop3D does not have
the function to load an input file, yet. It does have the ability to
create the points from a polynomial equation) I'll copy a short
extract below. Excel gives good results up to Frame #22 then gives
nothing useful afterwards. I've been splitting the data into sections.
Of course maybe I'm not very good with excel.

Frame	Yposition
0	3.4884
1	3.4822
2	3.4652
3	3.4373
4	3.3984
5	3.3487
6	3.2881
7	3.2166
8	3.1341
9	3.0408
10	2.9366
11	2.8214
12	2.6954
13	2.5585
14	2.4106
15	2.2519
16	2.0823
17	1.9017
18	1.7103
19	1.508
20	1.2947
21	1.0706
22	0.83559
23	0.78687
24	0.94375
25	0.96928
26	0.84659
27	0.7397
28	0.77747
29	0.88383
30	0.99821
31	1.0788
32	1.1167
33	1.1143
34	1.0975
35	1.0687
36	1.028
37	0.97593
38	0.91267
39	0.83864
40	0.7542
41	0.75308
42	0.75202
43	0.71815
44	0.66709
45	0.60173
46	0.53591
47	0.49003
48	0.48278
49	0.51193
50	0.5476

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> Does anyone know of free software :) that will give me an equation
> from a set of data points?

Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Octave - it is Matlab compatible.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message