POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Curve fitting : Re: Curve fitting Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:28:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curve fitting
From: Nicolas George
Date: 11 Jun 2008 05:13:29
Message: <484f9739@news.povray.org>
Stephen  wrote in message <594t44hfs6cuejciibnd0vrnkve4q303jl@4ax.com>:
> Does anyone know of free software :) that will give me an equation
> from a set of data points?

There is no generic solution to this problem. If you have a particular form
of equation in mind (affine, exponential, etc.), there are ways to calculate
the best coefficients, but nothing can guess the form of equation for you.

And the points you are giving do not look like anything I know.

>					   It does have the ability to
> create the points from a polynomial equation

You can find a polynomial that will fit exactly any points you want (as long
as there are no conflicts), but the number of coefficients will be the same
as the number of points. With so many points, the coefficients will be huge,
and the polynomial will make giant leaps between each point. I strongly
advise against this solution.