POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Materials before or after bounded_by? Server Time
29 Apr 2024 15:13:03 EDT (-0400)
  Materials before or after bounded_by? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Materials before or after bounded_by?
Date: 29 Jan 2016 04:20:12
Message: <56ab2ecc@news.povray.org>
Should the bounded_by statement be the very last statement in a CSG
block? Or is it okay to have textures/materials/etc. come after?

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Materials before or after bounded_by?
Date: 29 Jan 2016 04:30:52
Message: <56ab314c$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/29/2016 4:20 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> Should the bounded_by statement be the very last statement in a CSG
> block? Or is it okay to have textures/materials/etc. come after?
>

> Mike

Also, is there any benefit to using bounded_by in the following case?

difference
{
	object {MyObject1}
	object {MyObject2}
	bounded_by {MyObject1}
}

intersection
{
	object {MyObject1}
	object {MyObject2}
	bounded_by {MyObject1}
}

Post a reply to this message

Am 29.01.2016 um 10:31 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 1/29/2016 4:20 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> Should the bounded_by statement be the very last statement in a CSG
>> block? Or is it okay to have textures/materials/etc. come after?

It's totally irrelevant.

> Also, is there any benefit to using bounded_by in the following case?
>
> difference
> {
>     object {MyObject1}
>     object {MyObject2}
>     bounded_by {MyObject1}
> }
>
> intersection
> {
>     object {MyObject1}
>     object {MyObject2}
>     bounded_by {MyObject1}
> }

That depends.

If MyObject1 is significantly easier to compute than MyObject2, then it
may indeed speed up rendering.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 29.01.2016 um 10:31 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> On 1/29/2016 4:20 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>>> Should the bounded_by statement be the very last statement in a CSG
>>> block? Or is it okay to have textures/materials/etc. come after?
>
> It's totally irrelevant.
>
>> Also, is there any benefit to using bounded_by in the following case?
>>
>> difference
>> {
>>      object {MyObject1}
>>      object {MyObject2}
>>      bounded_by {MyObject1}
>> }
>>
>> intersection
>> {
>>      object {MyObject1}
>>      object {MyObject2}
>>      bounded_by {MyObject1}
>> }
>
> That depends.
>
> If MyObject1 is significantly easier to compute than MyObject2, then it
> may indeed speed up rendering.

What if they both happen to be spheres or cylinders? I.e. similar types
of objects.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Am 29.01.2016 um 11:49 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 1/29/2016 5:15 AM, clipka wrote:
>>
>> It's totally irrelevant.
>>
>>> Also, is there any benefit to using bounded_by in the following case?
>>>
>>> difference
>>> {
>>>      object {MyObject1}
>>>      object {MyObject2}
>>>      bounded_by {MyObject1}
>>> }
>>>
>>> intersection
>>> {
>>>      object {MyObject1}
>>>      object {MyObject2}
>>>      bounded_by {MyObject1}
>>> }
>>
>> That depends.
>>
>> If MyObject1 is significantly easier to compute than MyObject2, then it
>> may indeed speed up rendering.
>
> What if they both happen to be spheres or cylinders? I.e. similar types
> of objects.

In that case it would be useless at best, and may actually slow down
render times.

To the best of my knowledge, that is. I still haven't spent enough time
studying the bounding mechanism to understand every detail of it.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 29.01.2016 um 11:49 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>>>
>>> It's totally irrelevant.

>>> That depends.
>>>
>>> If MyObject1 is significantly easier to compute than MyObject2, then it
>>> may indeed speed up rendering.
>>
>> What if they both happen to be spheres or cylinders? I.e. similar types
>> of objects.
>
> In that case it would be useless at best, and may actually slow down
> render times.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, that is. I still haven't spent enough time
> studying the bounding mechanism to understand every detail of it.

I am also wondering if both objects are cylinders, whether there is a
benefit to bound the CSG using a box.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

>>> What if they both happen to be spheres or cylinders? I.e. similar types
>>> of objects.
>>
>> In that case it would be useless at best, and may actually slow down
>> render times.
>>
>> To the best of my knowledge, that is. I still haven't spent enough time
>> studying the bounding mechanism to understand every detail of it.
>>

> I am also wondering if both objects are cylinders, whether there is a
> benefit to bound the CSG using a box.
>

> Mike

My guess is no. In general, I never use bounded_by; my experience
(whatever that may be worth in this case) is that it slows the render.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Le 16-01-29 12:21, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On 1/29/2016 11:24 AM, clipka wrote:

>>> What if they both happen to be spheres or cylinders? I.e. similar types
>>> of objects.
>>
>> In that case it would be useless at best, and may actually slow down
>> render times.
>>
>> To the best of my knowledge, that is. I still haven't spent enough time
>> studying the bounding mechanism to understand every detail of it.
>>

> I am also wondering if both objects are cylinders, whether there is a
> benefit to bound the CSG using a box.
>

> Mike

In the case of a difference, I doubt that it may help.
In the case of the intersection, when the remaining part is small
relative to both parent objects, then, bounding with a box or sphere
/may/ help as long as that object is as tight as possible around the
important part.