POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Copper texture Server Time
30 Apr 2024 22:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Copper texture (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Copper texture
Date: 8 Jan 2016 22:45:42
Message: <56908266$1@news.povray.org>
I have a nice gold glass texture I am using for sunscreens in my space
scene.

texture
{
	pigment {gamma_color_adjust(<1.000, 0.875, 0.575, 0.000, 0.900>)}
	finish
	{
		brilliance	2
		diffuse		D_GoldA
		ambient		A_GoldA
		reflection	R_GoldA
		metallic	M
		specular	0.20
		roughness	1/20
	}
}

What would a good similar one be for copper? Thanks.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

> I have a nice gold glass texture I am using for sunscreens in my space
> scene.
>
> texture
> {
>  pigment {gamma_color_adjust(<1.000, 0.875, 0.575, 0.000, 0.900>)}
>  finish
>  {
>   brilliance 2
>   diffuse  D_GoldA
>   ambient  A_GoldA
>   reflection R_GoldA
>   metallic M
>   specular 0.20
>   roughness 1/20
>  }
> }
>
> What would a good similar one be for copper? Thanks.
>

> Mike

For good copper materials look at those sources:

1. Michael Raiford  Copper Texture
http://news.povray.org/povray.text.scene-files/thread/%3C41e52fcd$1@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=296020&toff=100

2. Ive  POV 3.7 metals.inc; post your textures here
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3C49d21bbf%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C49d21bbf%40news.povray.org%3

3. Cousin Ricky  RC3Metal
http://lib.povray.org/searchcollection/index2.php?objectName=RC3Metal&contributorTag=Cousin%20Ricky

4. Nathan O'Brien  Homunculi
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1999-10-31/13horror.zip

Norbert

Post a reply to this message

Le 16-01-08 22:45, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> I have a nice gold glass texture I am using for sunscreens in my space
> scene.
>
> texture
> {
>      pigment {gamma_color_adjust(<1.000, 0.875, 0.575, 0.000, 0.900>)}
>      finish
>      {
>          brilliance    2
>          diffuse        D_GoldA
>          ambient        A_GoldA
>          reflection    R_GoldA
>          metallic    M
>          specular    0.20
>          roughness    1/20
>      }
> }
>
> What would a good similar one be for copper? Thanks.
>

> Mike

Metellic textures should rely mostly on their reflectivity, with little
to no diffuse and NO ambient at all.

This gives a finish similar to this:

finish{
  brilliance 2 // or more
  diffuse albedo 0.1 // or less
  ambient 0 // Anything else is unrealistic
  specular albedo Specular_Value
  roughness 0.05 // (= 1/20) or less
  metallic
  reflection{Metal_reflection metallic }
// if using uberpov, add the same roughness as specular
}

As the brilliance increase, the specular and reflection should do the
same and roughness and diffuse should go down.

ambient must be set at zero. Editing metals.inc and gold.inc to use
ambient 0 everywhere, in my opinion, greatly improve those textures, and
the scenes that use them.

Adding albedo greatly improve the finish. As brilliance increase, it's
effect become more important.

Normaly, Metal_Reflection should be a gray value. Using a colour and
metallic will exagerate the colouring of the reflection in an
unrealistic way, but may be used for artistic purpose or for some
special effects if the relfection colour is different from the metal's
pigment.

Amy metallic finish greatly depend on it's environment.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> Le 16-01-08 22:45, Mike Horvath a écrit :
>> I have a nice gold glass texture I am using for sunscreens in my space
>> scene.
>> What would a good similar one be for copper? Thanks.

> Metellic textures should rely mostly on their reflectivity, with little
> to no diffuse and NO ambient at all.
> Amy metallic finish greatly depend on it's environment.

Indeed. As a matter of fact, realistic metallic texures often look
pretty boring in space, except in low orbit around a planet.