POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Simple request No2 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:29 EDT (-0400)
  Simple request No2 (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Ger
Subject: Simple request No2
Date: 13 Jan 2014 17:21:46
Message: <52d466fa@news.povray.org>
Please don't limit the length of #debug lines to 80 chars anymore.

I think the days of the 80x24 text terminals is over, and if the user wants
to limit the line length they can do so in the SDL source.

--

Ger

Post a reply to this message

> Please don't limit the length of #debug lines to 80 chars anymore.

What?! How on earth is my Commodore 64 going to cope with that? :-D

> I think the days of the 80x24 text terminals is over, and if the user wants
> to limit the line length they can do so in the SDL source.

I'm sure that, if you write the patch, it will be accepted

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

>> Please don't limit the length of #debug lines to 80 chars anymore.
>>

> What?! How on earth is my Commodore 64 going to cope with that? :-D

Put a second one next to it and you'll have a double wide screen.

>> I think the days of the 80x24 text terminals is over, and if the user
>> wants to limit the line length they can do so in the SDL source.
>>

> I'm sure that, if you write the patch, it will be accepted

I can hack and chop around in the code but I'm by no means a programmer, so
whatever I can come up with will send the developers into an alcohol induced
coma as they try to drink their misery away.

--

Ger

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 13 Jan 2014 18:56:22
Message: <52d47d26$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/01/14 23:37, Ger wrote:

> Put a second one next to it and you'll have a double wide screen.

:-)

> I can hack and chop around in the code but I'm by no means a programmer, so
> whatever I can come up with will send the developers into an alcohol induced
> coma as they try to drink their misery away.

... but at least they will have had an evening of fun and frivolity

John

From: clipka
Date: 13 Jan 2014 20:42:54
Message: <52d4961e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 13.01.2014 23:21, schrieb Ger:
> Please don't limit the length of #debug lines to 80 chars anymore.

Guess what - we don't.

(As a matter of fact we do limit it to 200 chars though, and if any
#debug line exceeds this length it is truncated to 160 chars. Why two
different numbers were chosen for this is beyond my comprehension -
there is a comment saying that this is intentional, but not what that
intention actually is. Another obscurity is that #error and #warning
texts are limited to 160 chars and truncated to 128 chars.)

> I think the days of the 80x24 text terminals is over, and if the user wants
> to limit the line length they can do so in the SDL source.

While that may be true, it is also true that if the user wants to output
longer text, they can still do this via a number of consecutive #debug
statements.

It's some of the old code that probably needs careful inspection before
tampering with it. I can tell where the limit is imposed, but it still
has to be examined whether some downstream code might have to be fixed
as well. I don't consider it worth that pain at present.

Probably the best moment to tackle this issue will be when replacing all
the classic C strings throughout POV-Ray with C++ std::string instances;
but the time for this endeavor hasn't come yet.

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 13 Jan 2014 20:59:29
Message: <52d49a01$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/01/14 01:42, clipka wrote:

> (As a matter of fact we do limit it to 200 chars though, and if any
> #debug line exceeds this length it is truncated to 160 chars. Why two
> different numbers were chosen for this is beyond my comprehension -
> there is a comment saying that this is intentional, but not what that
> intention actually is. Another obscurity is that #error and #warning
> texts are limited to 160 chars and truncated to 128 chars.)

Good luck with this one.

> It's some of the old code that probably needs careful inspection before
> tampering with it. I can tell where the limit is imposed, but it still
> has to be examined whether some downstream code might have to be fixed
> as well. I don't consider it worth that pain at present.
>
> Probably the best moment to tackle this issue will be when replacing all
> the classic C strings throughout POV-Ray with C++ std::string instances;
> but the time for this endeavor hasn't come yet.

<John prepares large quantities of mind-altering substances for the event>

From: Ger
Date: 13 Jan 2014 21:11:29
Message: <52d49cd1$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> Am 13.01.2014 23:21, schrieb Ger:
>> Please don't limit the length of #debug lines to 80 chars anymore.
>
> Guess what - we don't.

Correct, my bad. But a CR gets put in.

This is the #debug line I use

#debug concat ("Tests done ", str(TestsDone,8,0)," (",str(PercentDone,2,0),"%), used
"str(RockCount,8,0)," (",str(PercentUsed,5,2),"%), discarded ",str(Discarded,8,0),"
(", str(PercentDiscarded,5,2),"%), remaining
",str(RemainingTests,8,0),"\n")

This is the resulting format in the console (Linux)

Tests done  7812480 (80%), used  1342036 (13.74%), discarded  6470443 (66.26%),
 remaining  1953145

> (As a matter of fact we do limit it to 200 chars though, and if any
> #debug line exceeds this length it is truncated to 160 chars. Why two
> different numbers were chosen for this is beyond my comprehension -
> there is a comment saying that this is intentional, but not what that
> intention actually is. Another obscurity is that #error and #warning
> texts are limited to 160 chars and truncated to 128 chars.)
>
>> I think the days of the 80x24 text terminals is over, and if the user
>> wants to limit the line length they can do so in the SDL source.
>
> While that may be true, it is also true that if the user wants to output
> longer text, they can still do this via a number of consecutive #debug
> statements.
>
> It's some of the old code that probably needs careful inspection before
> tampering with it. I can tell where the limit is imposed, but it still
> has to be examined whether some downstream code might have to be fixed
> as well. I don't consider it worth that pain at present.
>
> Probably the best moment to tackle this issue will be when replacing all
> the classic C strings throughout POV-Ray with C++ std::string instances;
> but the time for this endeavor hasn't come yet.

I knew I could come up with a simple request that could give you a headache :)
--

Ger

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 13 Jan 2014 21:28:07
Message: <52d4a0b7@news.povray.org>
On 14/01/14 02:11, Ger wrote:
> I knew I could come up with a simple request that could give you a headache :)

At a guess, Supreme Master Lipka has put it on his to-do list. But, of
course, I am but an egg and his understanding of PovRay exceeds mine as
does my ability to grok the Feegle.

John

From: clipka
Date: 13 Jan 2014 22:44:34
Message: <52d4b2a2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.01.2014 03:11, schrieb Ger:

>>> Please don't limit the length of #debug lines to 80 chars anymore.
>>
>> Guess what - we don't.
>
> Correct, my bad. But a CR gets put in.
>
> This is the #debug line I use
>
> #debug concat ("Tests done ", str(TestsDone,8,0)," (",str(PercentDone,2,0),"%), used
"str(RockCount,8,0)," (",str(PercentUsed,5,2),"%), discarded ",str(Discarded,8,0),"
(", str(PercentDiscarded,5,2),"%), remaining
> ",str(RemainingTests,8,0),"\n")
>

> This is the resulting format in the console (Linux)

Ah - now that's an entirely different story. I'm not a Linux jockey, and
generally leave it up to other people to mess with (or even grok) the
Linux-specific code. (And I'm guessing this particular thing is
Linux-specific, as the Windows version doesn't do this type of chopping.)

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 14 Jan 2014 19:25:21
Message: <52d5d571@news.povray.org>
On 14/01/14 03:44, clipka wrote:

> Ah - now that's an entirely different story. I'm not a Linux jockey, and
> generally leave it up to other people to mess with (or even grok) the
> Linux-specific code. (And I'm guessing this particular thing is
> Linux-specific, as the Windows version doesn't do this type of chopping.)

So, can this be passed to the Linux gurus?

John