POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Simple request No2 : Re: Simple request No2 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple request No2
From: clipka
Date: 13 Jan 2014 20:42:54
Message: <52d4961e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 13.01.2014 23:21, schrieb Ger:
> Please don't limit the length of #debug lines to 80 chars anymore.

Guess what - we don't.

(As a matter of fact we do limit it to 200 chars though, and if any
#debug line exceeds this length it is truncated to 160 chars. Why two
different numbers were chosen for this is beyond my comprehension -
there is a comment saying that this is intentional, but not what that
intention actually is. Another obscurity is that #error and #warning
texts are limited to 160 chars and truncated to 128 chars.)

> I think the days of the 80x24 text terminals is over, and if the user wants
> to limit the line length they can do so in the SDL source.

While that may be true, it is also true that if the user wants to output
longer text, they can still do this via a number of consecutive #debug
statements.

It's some of the old code that probably needs careful inspection before
tampering with it. I can tell where the limit is imposed, but it still
has to be examined whether some downstream code might have to be fixed
as well. I don't consider it worth that pain at present.

Probably the best moment to tackle this issue will be when replacing all
the classic C strings throughout POV-Ray with C++ std::string instances;
but the time for this endeavor hasn't come yet.