POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A simple request... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  A simple request... (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: A simple request...
Date: 30 Dec 2013 07:09:51
Message: <52c1628f$1@news.povray.org>
Le 30/12/2013 11:24, Ger Remmers nous fit lire :
> On 12/17/2013 02:00 AM, Ger wrote:
>> with possibly large implications.
>>

> Using the chainsaw approach I cut out all code that had to do with
> BackupTrace, ContinueTrace and Pov_state and all that fun, I have a
> working pov version (dunno how working yet) that doesn't bs around with
> pov-state files and produces the results I do like.
> And if anyone would like for me to post the resulting code, rest
> assured, I won't post it. The chances for it to eat your children and/or
> your in-laws is just too great.

and in the meantime, the Great C-Lipka made the switch -CC available in
the source. (master branch in git repository:
https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray
 , the easiest one). It nearly occured at Xmas!

Put down that chainsaw, and do not run with scisors.

Post a reply to this message

On 12/30/2013 06:09 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 30/12/2013 11:24, Ger Remmers nous fit lire :
>
> and in the meantime, the Great C-Lipka made the switch -CC available in
> the source. (master branch in git repository:
> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray
>   , the easiest one). It nearly occured at Xmas!
>
> Put down that chainsaw, and do not run with scisors.

I must have missed him posting about it.
I'll check it out.

Post a reply to this message

Am 30.12.2013 18:41, schrieb Ger Remmers:
> On 12/30/2013 06:09 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>>
>> and in the meantime, the Great C-Lipka made the switch -CC available in
>> the source. (master branch in git repository:

> I must have missed him posting about it.

That's ok, because I myself don't recall having posted about it either ;-)

Jerome just keeps a close eye on the GitHub repo, that's how he found out.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 30.12.2013 18:41, schrieb Ger Remmers:
>> On 12/30/2013 06:09 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>>>
>>> and in the meantime, the Great C-Lipka made the switch -CC available in
>>> the source. (master branch in git repository:
>
>> I must have missed him posting about it.
>
> That's ok, because I myself don't recall having posted about it either ;-)
>
> Jerome just keeps a close eye on the GitHub repo, that's how he found out.

Ah I see. You were trying to keep it all secretly to yourself :)

Well, I got it anyways and compiled it. Just restarted the script and
the pov-state file is no more.

That saves me GB's of unused data going up and down the network.

Thank you for that.

Post a reply to this message

From: Ger
Date: 23 Aug 2014 17:46:41
Message: <53f90bc1$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> Am 17.12.2013 09:00, schrieb Ger:
>> with possibly large implications.
>>
>> A commandline (I run linux) option to disable the pov-state file.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> I render multiple test runs for an animation and all frames get stored on
>> a network, so the pov-state file gets stored on that same network.
>> I understand the value of the pov-state file because it allows one to
>> continue a render from whatever point in case of a mishap.
>> In my case, I'll simply restart the render at 1 frame before the mishap.
>
> Sounds like a reasonable request to me.
>
>> ps, I'm not a programmer so I don't know how involved a change like that
>> could turn out to be.
>
> A quick glance at the code indicates that someone had already thought of
> this, and all the necessary stuff seems to be there already, except that
> it hasn't been hooked up to a command line option or ini file setting
> yet. Two lines of code should get us going.
>
> Suggestions for how to call the thing, anyone? Internally it is called
> "BackupTrace", and it complements the existing "Continue_Trace" option
> ("+C", internally "ContinueTrace), so a suitable ini setting name might
> be "Backup_Trace" (defaulting to true); the "+B" switch is already in
> use though; "-BC" ("[disable] backup for +C") or "-CB" ("[disable] +C
> backup") would still be open.

Has the -CC (disable pov_state file) options disappeared or has it changed names?

I just downloaded/compiled the master zip file from github and that one doesn't
understand the -CC option.

--

Ger

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 23 Aug 2014 19:34:17
Message: <53f924f9$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.08.2014 23:46, schrieb Ger:

> Has the -CC (disable pov_state file) options disappeared or has it changed names?

Um... no, neither. It should be working fine.

> I just downloaded/compiled the master zip file from github and that one doesn't
understand the -CC option.

When you run POV-Ray, what version does it identify as?

By "doesn't understand", do you mean it outright rejects the option with
an error message, or do you mean the option just doesn't have the
desired effect?

What happens if you use "Create_Continue_Trace_Log=no"?

Post a reply to this message

From: Ger
Date: 23 Aug 2014 22:07:24
Message: <53f948dc$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> Am 23.08.2014 23:46, schrieb Ger:
>
>> Has the -CC (disable pov_state file) options disappeared or has it
>> changed names?
>
> Um... no, neither. It should be working fine.
>
>> I just downloaded/compiled the master zip file from github and that one
>> doesn't understand the -CC option.
>
> When you run POV-Ray, what version does it identify as?

povray/Galaxy> povray
povray: This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE version of POV-Ray. General distribution is
discouraged.
povray: cannot open the user configuration file /home/ger/.povray/3.7/povray.conf: No
such file or directory

Problem with option setting
povray
No input file provided

> By "doesn't understand", do you mean it outright rejects the option with
> an error message, or do you mean the option just doesn't have the
> desired effect?

povray/Galaxy> povray Rand.ini +W1920 +H1200 -D -ooutput/ -CC
povray: This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE version of POV-Ray. General distribution is
discouraged.
povray: cannot open the user configuration file /home/ger/.povray/3.7/povray.conf: No
such file or directory

Problem with option setting
povray Rand.ini +W1920 +H1200 -D -ooutput/ -CC
Failed to parse command-line option

> What happens if you use "Create_Continue_Trace_Log=no"?

/povray/Galaxy> povray Rand.ini +W1920 +H1200 -D -ooutput/
Create_Continue_Trace_Log=no
povray: This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE version of POV-Ray. General distribution is
discouraged.
povray: cannot open the user configuration file /home/ger/.povray/3.7/povray.conf: No
such file or directory

Problem with option setting
povray Rand.ini +W1920 +H1200 -D -ooutput/ Create_Continue_Trace_Log=no

From: James Holsenback
Date: 24 Aug 2014 07:08:14
Message: <53f9c79e@news.povray.org>
On 08/23/2014 07:34 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 23.08.2014 23:46, schrieb Ger:
>
>> Has the -CC (disable pov_state file) options disappeared or has it
>> changed names?
>
> Um... no, neither. It should be working fine.
>
>> I just downloaded/compiled the master zip file from github and that
>> one doesn't understand the -CC option.
>
> When you run POV-Ray, what version does it identify as?
>
> By "doesn't understand", do you mean it outright rejects the option with
> an error message, or do you mean the option just doesn't have the
> desired effect?
>
> What happens if you use "Create_Continue_Trace_Log=no"?

POV-Ray 3.7.1-alpha.7695039.unofficial ... works fine here

Post a reply to this message

From: Ger
Date: 24 Aug 2014 13:53:23
Message: <53fa2693$1@news.povray.org>
Ger wrote:

> clipka wrote:
>
>> Am 17.12.2013 09:00, schrieb Ger:
>>> with possibly large implications.
>>>
>>> A commandline (I run linux) option to disable the pov-state file.
>>>
>>> Why?
>>>
>>> I render multiple test runs for an animation and all frames get stored
>>> on a network, so the pov-state file gets stored on that same network.
>>> I understand the value of the pov-state file because it allows one to
>>> continue a render from whatever point in case of a mishap.
>>> In my case, I'll simply restart the render at 1 frame before the mishap.
>>
>> Sounds like a reasonable request to me.
>>
>>> ps, I'm not a programmer so I don't know how involved a change like that
>>> could turn out to be.
>>
>> A quick glance at the code indicates that someone had already thought of
>> this, and all the necessary stuff seems to be there already, except that
>> it hasn't been hooked up to a command line option or ini file setting
>> yet. Two lines of code should get us going.
>>
>> Suggestions for how to call the thing, anyone? Internally it is called
>> "BackupTrace", and it complements the existing "Continue_Trace" option
>> ("+C", internally "ContinueTrace), so a suitable ini setting name might
>> be "Backup_Trace" (defaulting to true); the "+B" switch is already in
>> use though; "-BC" ("[disable] backup for +C") or "-CB" ("[disable] +C
>> backup") would still be open.
>

> Has the -CC (disable pov_state file) options disappeared or has it changed
> names?
>
> I just downloaded/compiled the master zip file from github and that one
> doesn't understand the -CC option.

Problem solved.

I ended up with 2 povray executables after installing the new one, and it was the old
one that got called.
--

Ger

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 25 Aug 2014 11:26:26
Message: <53fb55a2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.08.2014 04:07, schrieb Ger:
> clipka wrote:
>
>> Am 23.08.2014 23:46, schrieb Ger:
>>
>>> Has the -CC (disable pov_state file) options disappeared or has it
>>> changed names?
>>
>> Um... no, neither. It should be working fine.
>>
>>> I just downloaded/compiled the master zip file from github and that one
>>> doesn't understand the -CC option.
>>
>> When you run POV-Ray, what version does it identify as?
>>
> povray/Galaxy> povray
> povray: This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE version of POV-Ray. General distribution is
discouraged.
> povray: cannot open the user configuration file /home/ger/.povray/3.7/povray.conf:
No such file or directory

A-ha! Somehow I suspected something like that.

The thing you're running isn't the newest GitHub master at all, but one
of the old RCs.

For more information, try:

     povray --version

(that'll output the information I was really after, but "RELEASE
CANDIDATE" is clear enough)

and

     which povray

(that'll tell you where the povray you're actually running resides on
your computer)

If the povray binary you want to run is present in the current
directory, remember that on Unix the current directory is not in the
search path, so you'll have to invoke it like this:

     ./povray foo.pov

Otherwise, make sure the binary resides in a directory that is listed in
the $PATH environment variable before the one the release candidate
resides in (or, as an obvious alternative, make sure to uninstall the
release candidate).

Maybe you simply forgot to invoke "sudo make install"?