POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A simple request... : Re: A simple request... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A simple request...
From: clipka
Date: 25 Aug 2014 11:26:26
Message: <53fb55a2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.08.2014 04:07, schrieb Ger:
> clipka wrote:
>
>> Am 23.08.2014 23:46, schrieb Ger:
>>
>>> Has the -CC (disable pov_state file) options disappeared or has it
>>> changed names?
>>
>> Um... no, neither. It should be working fine.
>>
>>> I just downloaded/compiled the master zip file from github and that one
>>> doesn't understand the -CC option.
>>
>> When you run POV-Ray, what version does it identify as?
>>
> povray/Galaxy> povray
> povray: This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE version of POV-Ray. General distribution is
discouraged.
> povray: cannot open the user configuration file /home/ger/.povray/3.7/povray.conf:
No such file or directory

A-ha! Somehow I suspected something like that.

The thing you're running isn't the newest GitHub master at all, but one
of the old RCs.

For more information, try:

     povray --version

(that'll output the information I was really after, but "RELEASE
CANDIDATE" is clear enough)

and

     which povray

(that'll tell you where the povray you're actually running resides on
your computer)

If the povray binary you want to run is present in the current
directory, remember that on Unix the current directory is not in the
search path, so you'll have to invoke it like this:

     ./povray foo.pov

Otherwise, make sure the binary resides in a directory that is listed in
the $PATH environment variable before the one the release candidate
resides in (or, as an obvious alternative, make sure to uninstall the
release candidate).

Maybe you simply forgot to invoke "sudo make install"?