POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sphere_sweep doesn't scale Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:37 EDT (-0400)
  sphere_sweep doesn't scale (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Roman
Subject: sphere_sweep doesn't scale
Date: 13 Dec 2013 05:55:05
Message: <52aae789@news.povray.org>
Hi there,

The minimal scene file below should produce identical images for any
value of the scaling factor s, but it doesn't. s=1e-1 works fine, s=1e-3
produces individual spheres instead of a sweep, and s=1e-5 makes the
object fully invisible. The code for sphere_sweep doesn't seem to scale.

Using other values for the sphere_sweep tolerance and turning off the
bounding (-MB) doesn't solve the problem.

This might be related to http://bugs.povray.org/task/81, as I'm getting
the artifacts described there as well for intermediate scaling factors,
but the problems described here appear to be much more severe.

I'm using POV-Ray 3.7 on OpenSUSE 12.2.

Regards,
Roman

// START MINIMAL SCENE FILE

#version 3.7;

#declare s = 1e-3; // 1e-1: ok, 1e-3: individual spheres, 1e-5: invisible

camera {
	location 7*z
	look_at 0
	scale s
}

light_source {
	<20,25,40>, rgb 1
	scale s
}

sphere_sweep {
	cubic_spline
	5,
	< 2.4,-2.1,0>, 1
	< 0.8,-0.9,0>, 1
	<-0.6, 0.4,0>, 1
	<-1.8, 1.7,0>, 1
	<-2.8, 2.0,0>, 1
	scale s
	pigment { color rgb 1 }
}

// END MINIMAL SCENE FILE

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'sphere_sweep_problem_1e-1.png' (3 KB) Download 'sphere_sweep_problem_1e-3.png' (3 KB) Download 'sphere_sweep_problem_1e-5.png' (1 KB)

Preview of image 'sphere_sweep_problem_1e-1.png'
sphere_sweep_problem_1e-1.png

Preview of image 'sphere_sweep_problem_1e-3.png'
sphere_sweep_problem_1e-3.png

Preview of image 'sphere_sweep_problem_1e-5.png'
sphere_sweep_problem_1e-5.png

I wonder if you can /scale/ a camera? In the docs section about
transforming the camera, this is /not/ mentioned as such, only rotate
and translate, so maybe there lies the problem.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> The minimal scene file below should produce identical images for any
> value of the scaling factor s, but it doesn't. s=1e-1 works fine, s=1e-3
> produces individual spheres instead of a sweep, and s=1e-5 makes the
> object fully invisible. The code for sphere_sweep doesn't seem to scale.
>
> Using other values for the sphere_sweep tolerance and turning off the
> bounding (-MB) doesn't solve the problem.
>
> This might be related to http://bugs.povray.org/task/81, as I'm getting
> the artifacts described there as well for intermediate scaling factors,
> but the problems described here appear to be much more severe.
>
> I'm using POV-Ray 3.7 on OpenSUSE 12.2.

It is not related to 81, but 297

http://bugs.povray.org/task/297

(81 is about artefact (noise) in solver, whereas 297 is about epsilon)

A lot of shapes would not scale either. That's 297.

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.

Post a reply to this message