POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sphere_sweep doesn't scale : Re: sphere_sweep doesn't scale Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere_sweep doesn't scale
From: Roman
Date: 14 Dec 2013 13:40:44
Message: <52aca62c$1@news.povray.org>
On 2013-12-13 14:35, Roman wrote:

> Thank you for clarifying this. To work around the problem, I'm currently
> scaling my whole scene to a size that works for all objects. That's a
> bit cumbersome though, and I'm worried that such a common error-free
> scale won't exist in all cases. IMHO this is a serious limitation of
> POV-Ray that should be fixed, if at all possible.

I'm still struggling with this issue. So I've rescaled everything to a
size that works for sphere_sweep, but now some of my other objects look
wrong. More precisely, their materials look wrong. I have narrowed it
down to the minimal scene file below, which shows a sphere with a
non-zero filter value in the pigment. Different scales result in
different images. What gives? I'm confused.

-Roman

// START MINIMAL SCENE FILE

#version 3.7;

// 1e-2, 1e-3, 1e-4, 1e-5 all produce different images,
// 1e-6 even produces a parse error!
#declare s = 1e-6;

camera { location 3*s*z look_at 0 }

light_source { s*<10,5,20>, rgb 1 }

sphere { 0, s pigment { color rgb <1,0,0> filter 0.5 } }

// END MINIMAL SCENE FILE

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'scale_problem_1e-2.png' (3 KB) Download 'scale_problem_1e-3.png' (3 KB) Download 'scale_problem_1e-4.png' (3 KB) Download 'scale_problem_1e-5.png' (1 KB)

Preview of image 'scale_problem_1e-2.png'
scale_problem_1e-2.png

Preview of image 'scale_problem_1e-3.png'
scale_problem_1e-3.png

Preview of image 'scale_problem_1e-4.png'
scale_problem_1e-4.png

Preview of image 'scale_problem_1e-5.png'
scale_problem_1e-5.png